• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dangers Ahead??

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Am I remembering correctly that the Gremlin was from the same company that made Nash & Rambler? My parents bought Nashes and loved them but they did not like the Ramblers. They bought them anyway because you could still put the front seat all the way down so the family could always sleep in the car on trips. :) Z
We had Ramblers for years. My brother and I insisted we keep getting them ... as soon as we were old enough to date and drive! Their reclining seats gave Ramblers a two word nickname, of which the second was "truck".

At one point AMC wanted to test out their new muscle car engine, so they built a fleet of 500 Rambler Americans with monster engines, disk brakes (this in 1966 or some such year), 4-speed. Somehow my dad got hold of one, brand new. To all the world this car looked like your grandmother drove it to church, but !!!! it would outrun anything on the road at that time. My dad immesurably ticked me off when he sold it to a guy who used in drag racing.

This has nothing to do with Elios, but, well, those were the days.

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting since it does not have the engine under the rider/driver. Although it definitely looks more motorcycle than car. I think. LOL :) Z
From the back it looks like a Mustang (except for the small plate) and still has the trunk and back seat-with seat belts but the whole front end and steering was custom built. Must get pretty hot behind that V8!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the back it looks like a Mustang (except for the small plate) and still has the trunk and back seat-with seat belts but the whole front end and steering was custom built. Must get pretty hot behind that V8!
A very good reason for not wanting to sit on top of it. LOL :-) Z

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Saw this last year in FL - Mustang rear and custom front end with a 302. On the rear is a motorcycle plate!View attachment 2531
The thought of going around a corner in that thing gives me the willies. It's going to want to scrub the front tire right off the hub, as the machine tries to travel in a straight line while the tire says "turn, turn, turn"

Last edited:

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Gas off, Turn, gas on - Just like this one!

Attachments

• bikelimo.jpg
    bikelimo.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 251

Vern

Elio Fan
Reaction score
As for gremlin I was parked on the side of the road and a semi ran the rear trailer tires over it when he turned the corner. Didn't even stop. Bought another one for parts to fix it and then ran the parts car in the demo

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that a lot of safety features have been included in this vehicle. That, coupled with the light weight of it make it even safer.
A head on collision in ANY vehicle, somebody is going to die
I am still all in.
Can't wait for production.
Simply stated, the Elio is newsworthy. As such, so will be its earliest accidents. If they will not be caused by defects in design or construction, their impact (without pun intended) should be brief. There was a TV news story this past week where a car designer stated they were intending to eliminate the item causing the most collisions - the driver! I know driverless cars have been in the news; just liked his turn of the phrase.

"Few things are harder to put up with than a good example."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Top Bottom