• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dieselio

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But what about the Diesel emissions ? All that Blue-Def stuff I see advertised although I don't very much about it and intervals etc on how its supposed to really work.

Educate me please :)

In it's most basic sense DEF is used to reduce NOx emissions from diesel engines. It's use is mandated by the EPA for 2010 standards. There's a metric s*it ton of info on the interwebs depending on how deep you want to get into the science of it :)

A diesel powered Elio would likely have a negligible benefit in MPG over the proposed gas engine that already is engineered for 49/84, a tiny diesel wouldn't be able to do much better if any improvement at all, it certainly wouldn't justify the increase in cost.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mazda found a way to restart the engine without using the starter.

There's not much new in engineering - so did the chauffeurs of Rolls Royce Silver Ghost cars, pre WW1!
They set the manual ignition timing to maximum retard and switched on the trembler coil. As one cylinder of the six was likely to be just over compression, it would fire, so they didn't need to get out in the cold to hand swing the heavy engine with a starting handle.

Top Bottom