• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
For sure, big FAIL on site prep., but I did like the frame/mold he was using. Could've/should've used something like a fiber-reinforced concrete, and could easily have added some metal screen or rebar (slots in each end of the form) to keep the sections connected.
I saw that; I was wondering why he didn't throw some chicken wire or even cut up coat hangers for some kind of connection/reinforcement.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Since this is DIY, here's a project of mine that is still a work in process

IMGP5980.JPG
IMGP5990 (2).JPG

The shed is 8x12 the deck is 470 sq. ft.

This picture was taken 3 years ago; I have more recent but I have to find them.
The little walkway/stone patio it all torn up right now and we're (I'm) completely redoing it.
There is a 14x16 shade sail over the back door.
And at the end of the deck (opposite of the shed) there are now 3 large planters full of bamboo that's about 16' tall.

The shed looks like a TuffShed but it's not, I scratch built the whole thing, you can't tell in this picture, but it has a barn style roof.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok! , I'll try a photo/upload that tonight. Everyone should try cardboard furniture sometime in their lives!.

If I think of it (this is my reminder), I'll do the same for the Garden Arch made from left over junk. Pretty proud of that one.
OK finally got the images where I could upload them.
I'm proud of the Garden Arch, the yard? Not so much. Once vines are grown around and thru it, it would be awesome. Now just need to fix the watering system. Another day, another dollar.

The cardboard rack was done the easiest way possible. But just a little more effort and...well you can always do better.
WP_20150715_06_41_16_Pro.jpg
WP_20150715_06_45_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20150715_06_49_25_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK finally got the images where I could upload them.
I'm proud of the Garden Arch, the yard? Not so much. Once vines are grown around and thru it, it would be awesome. Now just need to fix the watering system. Another day, another dollar.

The cardboard rack was done the easiest way possible. But just a little more effort and...well you can always do better.
View attachment 6170 View attachment 6171 View attachment 6172

Solar lights on top of the arch posts?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since this is DIY, here's a project of mine that is still a work in process

View attachment 6167 View attachment 6168

The shed is 8x12 the deck is 470 sq. ft.

This picture was taken 3 years ago; I have more recent but I have to find them.
The little walkway/stone patio it all torn up right now and we're (I'm) completely redoing it.
There is a 14x16 shade sail over the back door.
And at the end of the deck (opposite of the shed) there are now 3 large planters full of bamboo that's about 16' tall.

The shed looks like a TuffShed but it's not, I scratch built the whole thing, you can't tell in this picture, but it has a barn style roof.

Very nice, Coss! Showing some serious construction skills there. I also built a yard barn (beige and white). It's about 20yrs old now, 12'x12'x12' tall, usable loft with a functioning loft door, and the playground next to it was built when my youngest was 2, he's 27 now. That's back in the day when pressure treated wood was made to last...not even the slightest sign of rot, and sturdy enough for my 240lb butt to safely walk across. The yardbarn was built around a garage door that a friend was trying to get rid of. Still have the original pencil 'scale' drawings on both of them to figure out a bill of materials required. Didn't have the cash back in the day to throw away on extra materials. The playground is kind of obscured by the anti-squirrel vent cap, but it's basically two 4'x4'x10' tall towers connected by a 2'x10' bridge with swings hanging from the bottom. The yellow turbo slide was added a few years ago...couldn't pass on the price ($25!! :eek:...sold!)

sam_2151-jpg.6128.jpg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, nice green grass you have there. Right now we've got brown with a little green; very unusual for the NW.
But we've had so very little rain over the last 3-4 months that we're on water restrictions (first time in this town's history) the snow pack is 25% of what it normally is and all of the reservoirs are really down.
That shed look great for 25 years old; but a garage door and no driveway?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wow, nice green grass you have there. Right now we've got brown with a little green; very unusual for the NW.
But we've had so very little rain over the last 3-4 months that we're on water restrictions (first time in this town's history) the snow pack is 25% of what it normally is and all of the reservoirs are really down.
That shed look great for 25 years old; but a garage door and no driveway?

Record June rain fall amounts (since 1875), like 13+", which sucks since I live about 1/2 mile from the Meramec River and we haven't been able to go kayaking yet this year...usually have about 5 or 6 float trips under our belts by this time of year. Hoping the dry (finally!) week we're having will bring the river level below flood stage. Not much fun if there's no gravel bars to pull up on and party.:very_drunk:

As for the yardbarn, the structure's sound, but the floor has seen better days. Going to cut it loose from the floor, jack it up, pour a concrete floor, and drop it back down. Going to use the existing floor frame to size the concrete forms, and concrete the floor jacks, one in each corner, in place. Throw on a paint job, and she'll be good for another 25 years!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, $1 each at walmart, so about $16 of yard lighting. Would have preferred a single light on each post, but the price was right and soooo cheap to replace one that craps out on you.
Ahh the Wal-Mart 72 cent solar lawn lights; I know them well. I have 20 of them outlining the flower bed in front of the house and a few more for outlining the stone patio when it's done. I did find out, if the battery goes bad in them, throw them away and go buy another one.
I can't wait till they have them back in stock again; they've been out since May. The batteries are $4.89 each if you buy replacements.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And with the standard fit at the base, I can replace with something else, or upgrade to the chrome version for about double the price.

The Arch was made from left over yard cabana posts and bunk bed parts. I shouldn't have said, now you'll see that!

Top Bottom