• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is the completed totem. First picture shows each section. Second picture show reflective beads put onto the red and white paints.

View attachment 24896
I appreciate when you posted this. I had been looking for very old totems from the NW for a particular reason.
I probably should not say this, but you know how I am,...or did I ever mention this before? (I'm old, my stories are too)

The reason is that I seem to have seen some north western nature spirits at one point, and the figure just below the brown one is a cartoon version of (them). The colors are wrong, mouth incorrect, so maybe not the same elementals. It is a story unto itself as to how that can/did happen. Best for another thread.
I am not a 'sensitive', so that kind of event, the way it happened, probably could have happened to anyone.
(!no not shrooms! although, maybe that could help :doh:) Just saying.

Because people are weird, I will only post in a private message for people with a good, logical, but open mind-set.
(partial rationalist?, OK, partial agnostic? OK, partial believer? OK... Full on orthodox of anything esp institutional or cultish thinking? nope.)

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate when you posted this. I had been looking for very old totems from the NW for a particular reason.
I probably should not say this, but you know how I am,...or did I ever mention this before? (I'm old, my stories are too)

The reason is that I seem to have seen some north western nature spirits at one point, and the figure just below the brown one is a cartoon version of (them). The colors are wrong, mouth incorrect, so maybe not the same elementals. It is a story unto itself as to how that can/did happen. Best for another thread.
I am not a 'sensitive', so that kind of event, the way it happened, probably could have happened to anyone.
(!no not shrooms! although, maybe that could help :doh:) Just saying.

Because people are weird, I will only post in a private message for people with a good, logical, but open mind-set.
(partial rationalist?, OK, partial agnostic? OK, partial believer? OK... Full on orthodox of anything esp institutional or cultish thinking? nope.)

Here is the story about the totem. It was made in 1958 by my brother and his scout troop when they were all about twelve years old. They each carved and painted their own sections. After making it they took it to a local scout area in Dayton Ohio called Cricket Holler for a jamboree. I remember seeing them work on it but was only about three at the time so I wasn't allowed to participate. After the jamboree it was brought home and stuck in the back yard. Sometime in the 1980's our oldest sister repainted it. In about 2000 our father died and a few years later our mother moved to a retirement home. (She's still alive at 98!)
Before our mom moved out the totem was pulled and taken to my house where it sat for a good number of years. My brother died in 2008 and none of the family were interested in it. So I restored it and gave it away to Franklin-Chthonics in New York.

I don't believe there was any real meaning behind the figures they carved. They just wanted something fun.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK thanks, too bad, I have been wondering if those figures I saw would appear somewhere in native traditional art forms, but nope, not so far.
They did look like they would be perfect as a totem character to me. The assumption is that such occurrences would be universal to those who see them.
Having said that, such images do also occur to creative thought forming where more than one person will witness the same image in their mind.
Which does freq out people once in a while when afterward they get confirmation of some kind.
The modern term for that use of mind is 'Remote Viewing', but back in the day we simply called it 'Thought Forming', used as a meditative practice.

So there you have it. A practice of many 'secret schools' in many religions, even Christianity.
I read about such things, but am not a member of anything by personal mandate.
(OK exceptionally WAY off topic)

1635264223071.png

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK thanks, too bad, I have been wondering if those figures I saw would appear somewhere in native traditional art forms, but nope, not so far.
They did look like they would be perfect as a totem character to me. The assumption is that such occurrences would be universal to those who see them.
Having said that, such images do also occur to creative thought forming where more than one person will witness the same image in their mind.
Which does freq out people once in a while when afterward they get confirmation of some kind.
The modern term for that use of mind is 'Remote Viewing', but back in the day we simply called it 'Thought Forming', used as a meditative practice.

So there you have it. A practice of many 'secret schools' in many religions, even Christianity.
I read about such things, but am not a member of anything by personal mandate.
(OK exceptionally WAY off topic)

View attachment 25267
And you didn't even mention aliens or string theory where the whole universe is connected.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do they quote the price of what you need for a battery?
Didn't find that. But battery packs all depend on how much range you want. You can expect at least a couple thousand for a four seat sedan.
Hopefully, less required if the target craft is our tadpole autocycle.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Didn't find that. But battery packs all depend on how much range you want. You can expect at least a couple thousand for a four seat sedan.
Hopefully, less required if the target craft is our tadpole autocycle.
Sold out of the electric crate motors. Didn't take long. Obviously there is a high demand. Looks good for the DIY community. Ford mentioned getting the other parts required for a complete package to be offered soon. Didn't say when, but should be soon.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very interesting. I wonder why they did it at all. Possibly they had an overstock.

The other possible case is strategic. If a market might develop elsewhere that would someday challenge your own, this could stifle it just enough to undermine it.
For example, at times when a maker produces a inexpensive model. The others will jump in the game just so that they get to play. Otherwise you could lose market share in all your product lines. They will even sell at a loss if it will boost sales, even better if it kills off the competition.

Once competition is gone, the inexpensive model line is ended. It could be said that is what happened to the post WWII bubble cars such as the Meschermitt and Isetta. The claim is that people didn't want that kind of car any more. That isn't exactly right. Demand did drop, but only enough to weed out competition in that venue. Then they stopped those lines (secretly) on the basis that other models made more money.

Only then, at some point North/Central American roads were no longer conducive to micro-cars of diminutive size and power. But Smart, Elio and Bex all show that is still fertile ground.

They don't primarily make these things based on what we need or want. They do it for the best money they can make.

The interesting thing to me is that this upward mobility does leave a hole in the consumer needs-list. And large makers who are slow to adjust a emerging brand are letting that get established before they react. It could be said this is how the Mini, Smart and Tesla got up and running. GM etc could not talk themselves into undermining their other sales, and so neglected to dominate the new product type.

In the case of Tesla, GM is playing catchup. In the case of the Mini, they don't consider it worth it. Fiat and others did jump into the Smart realm. I would expect a GM or Ford level maker will consider the Bex-Build as not worth any attention for a very long time. Same for most of the Japanese. The Japanese game against American flagship brands (for the most part, except in international sales). I don't have a current analysis on how any other Asian brands game it.

I do have to add however, in sales local to Japan, they would consider the Bex-Build as a intrusion and would immediately compete against it there in the class of city cars. That is, they would go cheaper and slower, and kill it off that way. What was that one they had there for a while, the Nija? Some kind of Kei-Car?

1636388804048.png
1636388845065.png

It was actually like a clone of this Bambi, possibly bigger wheels.
1636389518787.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom