• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL, yes, and in the old days we would have tapped it back to .044" and put them back in !
Now , we have plugs that cost 25$ and we have to remove half the engine to even get to them.
Ain't technology great?
The parts were very reasonable on rockauto and were delivered the second day by noon. I did purchase the "iridium" option which were just slightly higher in price, but not significant. My girlfriend really likes this car and wants to keep it for many more years, so I put in the better spark plugs.

I want to also give the Dodge engineers some kudos. Everything was right up front and easy to get to. This is their 4 cylinder 2.0L engine. The coil was right there on top of the valve cover -- (4) 10mm bolts and a connector. The hardest part of the whole job was that silly red locking clip on the connector. The plugs and wires, again right up front... I removed nothing extra, barely got my hands dirty. (LOL)

I do dread the day when I have to change the spark plugs on my Nissan econo-box. Yes, I will have to remove the intake manifold and a few other things to get to the plugs, but that won't be anytime soon.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL, yes, and in the old days we would have tapped it back to .044" and put them back in !
Now , we have plugs that cost 25$ and we have to remove half the engine to even get to them.
Ain't technology great?
Sometimes I miss my old Jeep (1975 CJ-5). It had a 258 straight six and everything was out in the open.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, my girlfriend and I were discussing her Dodge Neon at dinner last night. She was trying to figure out what car to buy when the Neon does eventually die. Money is tight, but she does want a new car. She asked if there was any reason why she couldn't purchase an automatic transmission BEX Mongrel, since Mark has now added that as an option (she can't drive stick and I'm not going to try to teach her). I couldn't come up with a reason not to, as she just uses her present car for doctor's appointments and little trips around town.
So, if she likes riding in the manual transmission BEX Mongrel I'm planning on purchasing for our "Bucket List" travels, she is going to purchase an automatic transmission Mongrel as her "kick around town" car.
I know we'll be the first two Mongrel household on the block. (LOL)

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wow, time really Flys sometimes.
Final update on my Audi UTE project.
Brakes are good now. Found a upper control arm that was warn out.
Fixed the radio with a Kenwood. Reception is terrible, but it has Bluetooth and cd.
I had a dash warning that I had a bulb out. I new it was the rear fog light . Tha Acura tail light didn't have one, but I found a bulb socket for a two element bulb that fit the housing. Now I have no warning lights,,,well except for the airbag light. It has to be something with the rear seat belts. I'll live with that.
I'm pleased with how I did the tailgate release handle. I used the interior door handles from the rear doors, works great!
Oh! It's all one color now!!!

I entered it in a car show yesterday, I answered a lot of ,what is that, questions. One guy recognized it for what it is. Most thought it was a Holden.
View attachment 25673
Follow up
I co-wrote a short story. I hope it is readable and I don't know why the last page is sideways, or double images

20220722_205331.jpg
20220722_205331.jpg

20220722_205405.jpg
20220722_205405.jpg

20220722_205452.jpg

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No pictures, but I am installing a 220 volt 60 amp breaker panel with four 120 volt 20 amp circuits in my garage. These four circuits will go to GFCI outlets that will make nickel plating and sandblasting easier. Right now I have one 15 amp outlet. Figure the 60 amp circuit could also increase the value of my home for future car charging.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I need to do the same in mine. All I have in there are two old fuse panels. I have been trying to figure out the wiring as they seem to have converted the old 220v feed line to 110v inside the receptacle for the 220 outlet. I took these for the electrician I know to look at. He was not impressed.

Attachments

• 220receptingarage (1).JPG
    220receptingarage (1).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 80
  • tim 7-15-22 p- (2).JPG
    tim 7-15-22 p- (2).JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 80
  • tim 7-15-22 p- (8).JPG
    tim 7-15-22 p- (8).JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 95

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I need to do the same in mine. All I have in there are two old fuse panels. I have been trying to figure out the wiring as they seem to have converted the old 220v feed line to 110v inside the receptacle for the 220 outlet. I took these for the electrician I know to look at. He was not impressed.
I wonder why?

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To look at it on the bright side, maybe after changing to breakers you can sell the old as antiques!

Reactions: Hog
Top Bottom