• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wow, time really Flys sometimes.
Final update on my Audi UTE project.
Brakes are good now. Found a upper control arm that was warn out.
Fixed the radio with a Kenwood. Reception is terrible, but it has Bluetooth and cd.
I had a dash warning that I had a bulb out. I new it was the rear fog light . Tha Acura tail light didn't have one, but I found a bulb socket for a two element bulb that fit the housing. Now I have no warning lights,,,well except for the airbag light. It has to be something with the rear seat belts. I'll live with that.
I'm pleased with how I did the tailgate release handle. I used the interior door handles from the rear doors, works great!
Oh! It's all one color now!!!

I entered it in a car show yesterday, I answered a lot of ,what is that, questions. One guy recognized it for what it is. Most thought it was a Holden.
20220430_152746.jpg

Attachments

• 20220430_152931.jpg
    20220430_152931.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited by a moderator:

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wow, time really Flys sometimes.
Final update on my Audi UTE project.
Brakes are good now. Found a upper control arm that was warn out.
Fixed the raido with a Kenwood. Reception is terrible, but it has Bluetooth and cd.
I had a dash warning that I had a bulb out. I new it was the rear fog light . Tha acura tail light didn't have one, but I found a bulb socket for a two element bulb that fit the housing. Now I have no warning lights,,,well except for the airbag light. It has to be something with the rear seat belts. I'll live with that.
I'm pleased with how I did the tailgate release handle. I used the interior door handles from the rear doors, works great!
Oh! It's all one color now!!!

I entered it in a car show yesterday, I answered a lot of ,what is that, questions. One guy recognized it for what it is. Most thought it was a Holden.
View attachment 25673
Truly impressive! Does weight distribution change enough to alter handling?

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A little hobby of mine is restoring old tools. In this case I bought a group of Stanley 247 planes for $30. Two were made in USA, the other England. The England version has much better castings and machining. I took one of the USA ones and stripped the paint off. Then I sanded and polished the areas you typically touch and flattened the sole and where the blade contacts. Then I nickel plated it. (Nickel doesn't rust!) I have a 4.5 gallon setup from Caswell Plating that is pretty basic. I plan on plating a bunch of planes for a special collection soon. This is all getting ready for retirement next year. I will have plenty to do.

Stanley 247 a.JPG
Stanley 247 b.JPG

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I am impressed, looks like a total professional job, and will keep you active, I know I'm running into a case of the blahhhss lately, but I'll get over it, I had better, otherwise you'll read about me running naked around the block screaming. Not having anything to do drives me crazy. But like I said, I'll get over it.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I am impressed, looks like a total professional job, and will keep you active, I know I'm running into a case of the blahhhss lately, but I'll get over it, I had better, otherwise you'll read about me running naked around the block screaming. Not having anything to do drives me crazy. But like I said, I'll get over it.
Thanks Coss, I try to do a good job. Figure I have about tens years of work ahead of me after I retire. Looking forward to when I do things without deadlines, budgets, etc. There is a lot of effort to prepare the tools before plating and I don't expect I will make much on the hour, but this is more a labor of love.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Coss, I try to do a good job. Figure I have about tens years of work ahead of me after I retire. Looking forward to when I do things without deadlines, budgets, etc. There is a lot of effort to prepare the tools before plating and I don't expect I will make much on the hour, but this is more a labor of love.
"Figure I have about tens years of work ahead of me after I retire. Looking forward to when I do things without deadlines, budgets, etc."

Same here..... I plan to retire in January (I hope), from my real work. I've done the same line of work for 50 years and have never had a day without a deadline looming over me. After retirement, I prefer to deal with only deadlines I impose on myself. Don't know if that will happen, but that's my plan.

The planes look awesome. Great job! You've inspired me a bit. I have some old trade tools that belonged to my Dad. After seeing your planes, it makes me want to clean up the old tools, restore them a bit and give to my grandsons. They'll never use 'em, but at least they might stay in the family for a while longer.

Keep up the good work!

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was working on a wind turbine made from my wife's defunct Maytag washing machine. Still an in-progress idea, but coming along. I have a few parts to waterjet yet, like the tail fin and a real mounting plate, but these pics from March-April show some progress. Highest voltage I have seen in testing was 105V (DC) in a 15 mph wind. I am hoping to hook it into the solar panel setup I have for some extra juice at night.

Attachments

• Screenshot from HPIM0760.AVI.png
    Screenshot from HPIM0760.AVI.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot from HPIM0760.AVI - 1.png
    Screenshot from HPIM0760.AVI - 1.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 87

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A couple days ago my girlfriend came to me and said "There is a little yellow light on my dash". Yes... a check engine light, so I scanned it down and it was a P0303 (misfire code). I asked her when was the last time she had the old Dodge tuned up. Her answer was "I don't think its had a tune up" Its an 2005 Neon with 102K miles on it. I was pretty sure it just needed a tune-up. So I ordered up spark plugs, spark plug wires and a coil.
When the parts came in, I got to work and pulled out the first plug. I was shocked... I don't even know how this thing was running. The spark plug gap is supposed to be .044 - the plugs were so worn it was closer to 1/4 inch.
Installed the rest of the parts, cleared the code and ran a drive cycle. All fixed... Girlfriend is happy, again.
Spark Plug2.JPG

Top Bottom