• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Do I Need A Second Car?

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I do buy the Elio, it will be my primary car. I'm ready to retire my F150 to weekend use since it will be getting bodywork and a new paint job soon. I will be getting a roof rack and/or a small trailer for the Elio so I can carry a fair amount of cargo. If I don't buy the Elio, I will buy a used Grand Prix, Volvo or Dodge Charger. I like full-size cars but the Elio is by far the most economical even with all the room I have to give up.

D Borland

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
In today's world almost everyone needs two cars. What if your car breaks down when there is an emergency, what about the times your car may stay in the repair shop for a couple days and what about the times your spouse is gone in the car and you have no way to go if something came up.
A cab or a rental would work.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
If I do buy the Elio, it will be my primary car. I'm ready to retire my F150 to weekend use since it will be getting bodywork and a new paint job soon. I will be getting a roof rack and/or a small trailer for the Elio so I can carry a fair amount of cargo. If I don't buy the Elio, I will buy a used Grand Prix, Volvo or Dodge Charger. I like full-size cars but the Elio is by far the most economical even with all the room I have to give up.
I have a used Grand Prix :)

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a used Grand Prix :)

My Dad has had 7! 92, 97x2, 98, 00, 02, 04. Man that 2002 was a cool car. I loved Pontiac interiors with red lights. Grand Prix's are quick, good-looking, and roomy. They were all work cars. He traded the 04 in for a Charger. I'd love to have another one. Plus due to crappy resale value, you can get a decent, newer model for under 10 grand

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A cab or a rental would work.
Cabs don't exist out here in rural America, and I would likely lose money going to work and back 45 miles each way.

The nearest rental cars are 30 miles away.

I'll keep at least one extra vehicle on hand, thanks.

I have 3 registered here, and can make a case for keeping them all, plus an Elio. Just need a bigger shed is all.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Cabs don't exist out here in rural America,

city folks who haven't spent time in rural areas don't understand many realities of life in a huge section of our country .... when our daughter broke her arm in rural South Dakota, we had to take her just under 90 miles to get to a medical facility that could handle resetting it .... an Elio's promised mileage can have a huge economic impact on families in such areas

Jim

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
city folks who haven't spent time in rural areas don't understand many realities of life in a huge section of our country .... when our daughter broke her arm in rural South Dakota, we had to take her just under 90 miles to get to a medical facility that could handle resetting it .... an Elio's promised mileage can have a huge economic impact on families in such areas

Jim
Not to mention that if you run down to the "local" store (24 miles away) you will pay double the price for your purchases, so with the Elio you can afford to go to the stores in town (72 miles) and still save even more. Locally right now gas is $3.58, or drive to town where it is $2.69, will then be able to afford the drive.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not to mention that if you run down to the "local" store (24 miles away) you will pay double the price for your purchases, so with the Elio you can afford to go to the stores in town (72 miles) and still save even more. Locally right now gas is $3.58, or drive to town where it is $2.69, will then be able to afford the drive.
This is a good point Truett, and one I hadn't considered. I live in the sticks as well (not too far out, but far enough). I often calculate the benefit of driving extra miles to buy cheaper gas. Most times it's not financially a benefit, unless you plan your gas around times you will be in town anyway. With the Elio, I'll have to redo the math. It may very well be worth the added miles to get to the cheaper gas.
Or another idea: once a week I need to take the garbage to the dump in my pick-up. If I fill up a couple of gas cans while I'm out, I may never need to stop at a station with the Elio. Just fill up in the driveway.
Hmm...

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a good point Truett, and one I hadn't considered. I live in the sticks as well (not too far out, but far enough). I often calculate the benefit of driving extra miles to buy cheaper gas. Most times it's not financially a benefit, unless you plan your gas around times you will be in town anyway. With the Elio, I'll have to redo the math. It may very well be worth the added miles to get to the cheaper gas.
Or another idea: once a week I need to take the garbage to the dump in my pick-up. If I fill up a couple of gas cans while I'm out, I may never need to stop at a station with the Elio. Just fill up in the driveway.
Hmm...
He up in the town I work in we had a major traffic jam yesterday....
traffic.jpg

Top Bottom