• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doe Response!

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The ATVM program is completely eliminated in both Trump's earlier proposed budget and the budget submitted to Congress. I don't see any reason to expect that -anyone-, Elio included, will ever see another ATVM loan.
Eliminated for fiscal year 2018 if Congress doesn't say otherwise... irrelevant to Elio Motors by then anyway.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe that Monday is 6 weeks since the DOE said Secretary Perry has asked the Loan Programs Office to respond with regard to ELIO MOTORS. I believe a response might/should be imminent and a point of one on one private discussion with the Caddo Parish commissioners who signed the non disclosure agreement written by the Caddo Parish attorney...hence the subsequent delay in the $7.5 million penalty over 1,500 jobs to January. Also the timing of the momentum's recent detailing of the manufacturing process concluding with paint and the obvious 'read between the lines' headlines. Seen hearsay online that this Monday or Tuesday there might be a significant news story. The recent departure of Elon Musk from the president's council might leave a vacuum more easily filled by an affordable vehicle for the people than an upper middle to upper class 's Tesla Model 3. Clunker reduction with mass production of Elio's will do more to reduce climate change than a limited supply of electric cars plugged into coal or natural gas power plants. The timing couldn't be better and a big win coming soon for traditional energy sources as I have said many times. Oil and gas reimagined to be part of the solution, a bridge to the future of alternative energy still a decade away. A future electric Elio based on popular demand across the economic ladder rather than by government subsidies only for the benefit of the rich. A true autocycle for everyone from us older but $carred scooter squadrons with former Harley's to the young invincibles on a used $500 Yamaha budget! Future ICE Elio sales over the next decade...at least a million!!! World wide demand...just the icing on the cake but add at least another 0!!!
Man! You've let your imagination, brand loyalty, enthusiasm and self esteem wind you up like a top.
The statement, "The Secretary has asked the U.S. Department of Energy's Loan Programs Office (LPO) to respond."...
Almost certainly means that some office intern shuttled that letter to some lower level paper pusher in the LPO.
And not that Secretary Perry personally (or even impersonally) asked anyone to respond to it.

I do admire you for writing the letter though.
Who knows, if there had been enough of them, what you believe might have become reality.
But then again, and to put this into perspective, most of the world's leaders couldn't change this administration's mind on emissions.

As far as Devil'stower's post about us not seeing the ATVM loan guarantee program granted to EM because of the budget...
Take the time to think it through for a second. I'm sorry. I can take only so much alternate reality.

Even though no such budget has passed yet and even though if one does pass soon, it won't go into effect for months...
Who in the DOE is going to stick their neck on a clearly defined chopping block to give that loan guarantee to EM?
That, in every reasonable way of thinking, is the best way to guarantee their dismissal and have their career permanently destroyed.

inflammatory political comment deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

FC

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Man! You've let your imagination, brand loyalty, enthusiasm and self esteem wind you up like a top.
The statement, "The Secretary has asked the U.S. Department of Energy's Loan Programs Office (LPO) to respond."...
Almost certainly means that some office intern shuttled that letter to some lower level paper pusher in the LPO.
And not that Secretary Perry personally (or even impersonally) asked anyone to respond to it.

I do admire you for writing the letter though.
Who knows, if there had been enough of them, what you believe might have become reality.
But then again, and to put this into perspective, most of the world's leaders couldn't change this administration's mind on emissions.

As far as Devil'stower's post about us not seeing the ATVM loan guarantee program granted to EM because of the budget...
Take the time to think it through for a second. I'm sorry. I can take only so much alternate reality.

Even though no such budget has passed yet and even though if one does pass soon, it won't go into effect for months...
Who in the DOE is going to stick their neck on a clearly defined chopping block to give that loan guarantee to EM?
That, in every reasonable way of thinking, is the best way to guarantee their dismissal and have their career permanently destroyed.

The money is already in the budget.
Creates American jobs
Helps low income people make commuting more affordable.
Makes an actual economy positive impact on the environment.
A Win/Win for the economy and the environment.

To me it would be a career enhancer, not a career killer to the person who makes it happen.

edited to remove part of a deleted comment which was the basis for this response

Last edited by a moderator:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The money is already in the budget.
Creates American jobs
Helps low income people make commuting more affordable.
Makes an actual economy positive impact on the environment.
A Win/Win for the economy and the environment.

To me it would be a career enhancer, not a career killer to the person who makes it happen.

edited to remove part of a deleted comment which was the basis for this response

I looked at your statement from every angle I could and I can't agree with it.
Based on the fact that (carefully worded) the administration wants to do away with the program ASAP.
Things don't always follow what we know as logic in that arena. It's just something you sometimes have to accept.

All you can do sometimes is shake your head and say, "They coulda shoulda woulda."

We'll see. :D

Last edited:

Burg

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The ATVM program is completely eliminated in both Trump's earlier proposed budget and the budget submitted to Congress. I don't see any reason to expect that -anyone-, Elio included, will ever see another ATVM loan.

To Devilstower's point.....

Im curious this thread has lasted this long. There have been comments suggesting the ATVM loan is dead and the site admins haven't killed it requiring proof. Anyway, to that point, within the current administrations budget as it currently stands America First: A Budget Blueprint to Make America Great Again, the ATVM loan will be eliminated. I know congress can change that position but I would challenge someone to show proof that is the direction congress is moving at this time.

Here is the document. https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/2018_blueprint.pdf

See page 19.... Last bullet.

"Eliminates the Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy, the Title 17 Innovative Technology Loan Guarantee Program, and the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing Program because the private sector is better positioned to finance disruptive energy research and development and to commercialize innovative technologies."

Granted, this is for 2018 but that's only months away and I personally dont think Elio has another full year to last. As to the money is already in the budget? Yes, but that could be returned to the proverbial "American People". This truly is zero hour, hail Mary time, but wouldn't that be amazing if Elio is the last item through? Talk about squeeeeeeeeking by. I hope somebody is documenting the process as this is the stuff that makes great movies.

FC

Elio Addict
Reaction score
. My lack of faith in congress passing a balanced budget, has me believing that ATVM going away is not a done deal. The proposed budget is a start of negotiations point, not a done deal.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
this is a valid discussion which at this point is within permissible bounds .... however, caution is advised to not drift further into political commentary

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if the loan is approved, that doesn't mean it can't be canceled later. The funds are not given in one big batch. If you're interested in how it works, look for some articles on the timeline of the failure of Fisker. Look at the schedule that the money was provided. Although Fisker was approved for $528M, they only received $192M, of which $53M total was recovered by the DoE.

If EM was approved for the loan, it would be the same. The money would be dispensed on a schedule, and only assuming that EM could meet the required milestones for dispersal of the funds. At any time, the program could be canceled, and no further payments made.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even if the loan is approved, that doesn't mean it can't be canceled later. The funds are not given in one big batch. If you're interested in how it works, look for some articles on the timeline of the failure of Fisker. Look at the schedule that the money was provided. Although Fisker was approved for $528M, they only received $192M, of which $53M total was recovered by the DoE.

If EM was approved for the loan, it would be the same. The money would be dispensed on a schedule, and only assuming that EM could meet the required milestones for dispersal of the funds. At any time, the program could be canceled, and no further payments made.

Thanks Rob, that is very interesting... realistically speaking then, would that be not an enticement for big investors: we still need them for a bridge from the approx $150 million dollar parsed ATVM loan to the $ 370 million eventually and totally required? It doesn't sound so good that even after approved it is in stages and still 'cancellable.'

Top Bottom