• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Does The Government Really Care How Much Gas We Burn?

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We once had a much better tax system. No income taxes under the Constitution. Federal taxes were paid by foreigners essentially. No fiat money issued at interest by bankers, but gold and silver coin. All the other tax complications we face now came from the switch from lawful money to banker bucks.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you feel the same about the government being in the banking business by providing low interest ATVM loans to high risk vehicle startups?
Yes, the government should not be doing it. Look the waste of $192 million that Fisker pissed away. Not to mention how much money the taxpayers lost on solar energy companies over $194 billion. It is not the government's job to prop up companies who otherwise are doomed to failure. Just like giving incentives to buy an electric car. Do you know the average person who buys a Volt makes over $175k why do they need subsidies? If a company has a good product people will invest in it the government should not.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
K, I gotta chime in here. I don't mind paying taxes, that's a constant for us here in the U.S. But I do mind the rich wiggling outta paying their fair share. If you make $25000 or 10000000 you should pay your share. The biggest problem ( I think ) is the rich have too many ways to get out of paying their share. Thereby leaving the Lions share to be paid by the middle class and below!
Am I wrong? ?
/
WHat is a fair share? They already pay most of the taxes. How about the "little guy" who pays nothing and actually draws money out. My niece makes over $7k every April 15th. Why? You should never get out more than you pay in. Many people pay 65-75% of their income isn't that enough?

Reactions: Sam

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You should never get out more than you pay in. ?

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. Imagine if you totaled your car and the insurance company said, "well, you only made three $75 payments on that policy, so we're only going to cut you a check for $225."

And as far as people paying 60% of their income in taxes.... I don't think that happens very often. There are plenty of ways for people to legally get around paying the base tax rate. Many millionaires pay only 0-25% in income tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
/
WHat is a fair share? They already pay most of the taxes. How about the "little guy" who panothing and actually draws money out. My niece makes over $7k every April 15th. Why? You should never get out more than you pay in. Many people pay 65-75% of their income isn't that enough?
Does your niece take that 7K directly to her broker and invest it ...or does she take it to WalMart and the grocery store to buy clothes and food - pumping it right back into the economy? I suppose you would rather someone who 'earned it' but doesn't need it (and will NEVER miss it) get it back so they can sock it in money mutual funds?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Reminder .... this thread has danced around the prohibition against political commentary .....so far it has generated a thoughtful discussion without the usual political rancor so I've let it go .... should it cross the line, the thread will be locked, the post will be deleted, and the author(s) of the political post will face the standard sanctions .... yes, the list of sanctions include the loss of forum membership

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
18 wheelers, and yes, those 18 wheels spread out the 80K lb max over a wide area, pay a whole lotta road tax.
If :car: folks do not want big trucks mucking up their roads, they can buy local.

Got to laugh at your little bitty 18 wheelers.
You should try the 40 or more wheelers that run on I10 in Texas carrying wind mill parts.
All so environmentalists can have their renewable energy.
No one ever thinks about how they get the wind mills to remote areas.
And then someone cancels the permits on pipe lines after we hear about train and truck wrecks where rivers get contaminated and towns are evacuated.

Note: This is not intended to be political. Riding the roads with those rigs can be scary.

Last edited:

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reminder .... this thread has danced around the prohibition against political commentary .....so far it has generated a thoughtful discussion without the usual political rancor so I've let it go .... should it cross the line, the thread will be locked, the post will be deleted, and the author(s) of the political post will face the standard sanctions .... yes, the list of sanctions include the loss of forum membership

Hey, All I wanted to do was discuss how we can get more gas saving Elios on the road. Guess I shouldn't have used the buzz word "government"..... :noidea:

Top Bottom