• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like your assessment, dunkybones. Although, I think a phone that had LTE data transfer rates and access to the internet in 1994 would have been a steal for $1200. :p

Yugos were junk and people snapped them up like crazy. This does everything the Yugo does, for less money, saves you money, and looks good doing it. It just has on less tire... maybe 2 less passengers... but still...

I don't think they are hitting the right demographic. I will not pretend to know what that is, but when they hit it, it will be like an 1850's gold rush. Maybe we need to start a grass-roots campaign for them. Get some giant life-size inflatable P5's and do some random sidewalk advocacy in city centers. Maybe one with the wacky-waving-inflatable-tube-man built into it. :)

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like your assessment, dunkybones. Although, I think a phone that had LTE data transfer rates and access to the internet in 1994 would have been a steal for $1200. :p

Yugos were junk and people snapped them up like crazy. This does everything the Yugo does, for less money, saves you money, and looks good doing it. It just has on less tire... maybe 2 less passengers... but still...

I don't think they are hitting the right demographic. I will not pretend to know what that is, but when they hit it, it will be like an 1850's gold rush. Maybe we need to start a grass-roots campaign for them. Get some giant life-size inflatable P5's and do some random sidewalk advocacy in city centers. Maybe one with the wacky-waving-inflatable-tube-man built into it. :)
Best place to go

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You all are right, the three wheel, "reverse-trike" or "cycle-car" concept is not new. The Morgan has been around since 1910. Very small homes aren't new either, but micro homes (many built on trailers) are steadily gaining popularity. The electric car, too. But Tesla has succeeded in "waking the sleeping giants" (GM, NISSAN,etc.) to the fact that people want eco-friendly transportation. There is an awakening, to smaller, simpler, smaller carbon footprint.
I do feel, the time is right for Elio. I also feel privileged to be in on the "ground floor!" I have no doubt that Microsoft, Google, Facebook, etc., ALL had their "uncle Mike's" & "Debbie downers" who chose to get out of those "sinking ships" before the S**T hit the fan. Some of them would probably still justify there reasons for getting out.
Personally, I don't care if it's another 2 or 3 years to production. Yes, I want it now. But "Pushing and screaming" won't get it here one day sooner. It reminds me of the "line" from the Princess Bride movie, when Miracle Max (played by Billy Crystal) said "Don't rush me, sonny! You rush a miracle man and you get rotten miracles!"
My 2 cents

Last edited:

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"I don't think they are hitting the right demographic. I will not pretend to know what that is, but when they hit it, it will be like an 1850's gold rush. Maybe we need to start a grass-roots campaign for them. Get some giant life-size inflatable P5's and do some random sidewalk advocacy in city centers."

Agreed. The marketing of this thing is extremely poor for all the marketing people they seem to have involved. Everyone I talk to - wants one. Most have never seen or heard of it. A great Idea simply won't sell itself - it needs mass marketing. Billboards, apparel, (real apparel, not those odd t-shirts) - Radio, everything. Not expensive stuff, just efficient stuff. Social media is great, but thats not all there is. There simply are not enough prototypes running around either. It would have been great to release a 'kit' that consisted of the body and chassis, and let people stuff their own engines in and see what happens, and collect on the advertising as well.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Social media gets the ball rolling. Once production starts (there's a thread for that - don't jump this one, please), the "everyone I talk to wants one" crowd will keep sales moving quickly and will keep the factory pumping out Elios.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't have a t or sticker yet. What have we seen so far? Two made over Geo metros, one silver, one orange, a picture of a blue p4 on the velocity channel which the color was probably photo shopped just like the other colored ones on their web page ( has anyone else wondered why they have not shown them anywhere), evidence of a chop shop in MI with some discarded body pannels in back of a building my uncle estimates is about 400 square feet with one overhead door, some polishing of a red body mock up, a few 30 second news spots where either an Elio rep or Paul Elio repeats the same moving wind speech. A list of vendors who agreed to produce parts but have not made the first one including the motor, one man saying he would guarantee a lease in LA, a named factory foreman who has withdrawn, after years only 17,000 reservations about 25 % of them with all in down payment, pictures that Elio has made public of model work up being one man in a small cluttered space welding a frame ( probably being the little dump described by my uncle ), 3 or 4 different style of t shirts, and showing of a product without any Elio mechanical parts. Now the 7 or 8 million dollars Elio has received from deposits is enough to cover everything they have done including the pay of the x Walmart people/reps at the parking lot shows including the salary of the one person who is production number , t shirt mailer, investment, etc person, retail centers that have no signs of coming to be, a $6800 price Elio keeps advertising but admits they can't reach at the same time, and lets not forget every accounting person who has looked at the Elio fiance and business plan has laughed it off and still does on all the reports..Did I miss anything?. Now you list the positives please !!! If this sounds like your three card person , it isn't but he has told me this and is here with me. Uncle M has paid his grand and his his number , he gave me the thousand to get mine reserved also. At this point he thinks Elio is grasping for air. He also thinks that the bs we have been handed is the same they have told lenders and investors. It all goes back to when they claimed they could get 200,000 people to reserve with a 1000 dollar deposit .Elio also boldy stated they will build and sell 250,000 units a year. We are dealing with a few dreamers ego-ssss. Finally let's not forget the credit card option they keep advertising but have admitted in an email I have copied and pasted on this site where we were told they stopped advertising it but have not. Another scheme to get deposits and that one from those who really cant a afford to lose.
Last edited: 28 minutes ago
Debbie Bruce, 41 minutes ago Edit Delete Report
#12 Reply
Show Ignored Content
Page 2 of 2
< Prev 1 2

Sigh... for an Elio supporter, it's hard to understand your continuing posts. Is it SO important to you to wreck others' hopes? BTW, putting a metro engine and transmission in a vehicle hardly makes it a "made over Geo" any more than putting a Mustang motor in a Geo makes it a "made over Mustang"... You also forgot to mention the Green Elio... 400 sq feet is 20'X20' ... and their facility is WAY bigger than that. 5,000 $1,000 deposits is only $5,000,000. Paul Elio is much to successful to waste time earning, what would essentially be $625,000 a year that he'd have to share out with the others working with him. "Every accounting person who has looked..." BS... Only the vocal ones who are against (even passive aggressively) Elio have spoken out.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if "Mass marketing" is NOT a good idea, at this time. Because the majority of folks can't, or don't want to wait...for ANYTHING, those who can be patient & put down their $1k, Get a $500 reward.
It will take time to Finalize the engine design, and do some long term testing of it. The same with crash testing, and re-design for safety. And assembly line setup. And,and,and...
People don't wand to hear "reasons" for delays. So, i think they are doing ok, for now. And when they start rolling out to every corner of the US, and what folks then see is the REAL THING, they CAN "get it now!"...But I'll bet you, the price will be higher... (shhhhh!!)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if "Mass marketing" is NOT a good idea, at this time. Because the majority of folks can't, or don't want to wait...for ANYTHING, those who can be patient & put down their $1k, Get a $500 reward.
It will take time to Finalize the engine design, and do some long term testing of it. The same with crash testing, and re-design for safety. And assembly line setup. And,and,and...
People don't wand to hear "reasons" for delays. So, i think they are doing ok, for now. And when they start rolling out to every corner of the US, and what folks then see is the REAL THING, they CAN "get it now!"...But I'll bet you, the price will be higher... (shhhhh!!)
If the price does go higher, it would be a great gesture of Paul to stick to the $6,800 for the early adopters as a good will thing. We'd be ecstatic and that would spread. Once in production, they could stand to make little profit on the first couple months of production maybe...

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the price does go higher, it would be a great gesture of Paul to stick to the $6,800 for the early adopters as a good will thing. We'd be ecstatic and that would spread. Once in production, they could stand to make little profit on the first couple months of production maybe...

Yup. And part of our reward for patience, Is the "never to be seen again" introductory price! I think you "get it" :cool::cool::cool:

Top Bottom