• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Driving The Elio?

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was talking to my Dad today about my plan to buy an Elio. He was impressed but he did raise one concern. Since the vehicle is only about 1250 pounds, how will it handle high speeds on the highways with semis and big trucks. When people are passing you at 70+ mph, will I get blown all around the road since the car weighs very little? It's one of my main concerns.....

Thanks in advance!

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it will be as bad as a motorcycle. My 750 Honda was light and the only thing bad was a sidewind. I think the Elio will do better than most because of the smooth design.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the excellent aerodynamics of the Elio will minimize the effects of crosswinds and gusts. Because of their notoriously poor aerodynamics and relatively low density, motorcycles are profoundly affected by wind. I have experience riding motorcycles of all sizes and styles. I've found that motorcycles with better aerodynamics were much more stable in windy conditions than those with fewer aerodynamic features. I'm very optimistic that the Elio do very well under adverse conditions at interstate speeds.

Jerry Greif

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget you can drive just as fast or faster than everyone else and get twice the MPG that they are. Now who is getting blown away?

Otis

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I had a few amusing thoughts about the differences that will be there when we drive the Elio. I had mentioned in an earlier post about the difference of driving in the middle of the lane. I think at least I will tend to want to drive over to the left side of the lane because that's the way my brain has been doing it for all my driving years.

Yesterday while driving to work, I straddled some "road kill". I giggled a little bit because my thought was that if I were already in an Elio...I would have nailed that thing with that center back tire. NOT that I find hitting road kill amusing, I just thought there will be some things I will have to think about when driving this new vehicle.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a few amusing thoughts about the differences that will be there when we drive the Elio. I had mentioned in an earlier post about the difference of driving in the middle of the lane. I think at least I will tend to want to drive over to the left side of the lane because that's the way my brain has been doing it for all my driving years.

Yesterday while driving to work, I straddled some "road kill". I giggled a little bit because my thought was that if I were already in an Elio...I would have nailed that thing with that center back tire. NOT that I find hitting road kill amusing, I just thought there will be some things I will have to think about when driving this new vehicle.
I've been practicing my Elio driving techniques by imagining that I'm already driving it and avoiding potholes and roadkill by 'straddling' them just a few inches inside either front tire. I've found that it isn't too difficult to do and the great majority of time doing so would also avoid taking a hit on the Elio's rear tire. :D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been practicing my Elio driving techniques by imagining that I'm already driving it and avoiding potholes and roadkill by 'straddling' them just a few inches inside either front tire. I've found that it isn't too difficult to do and the great majority of time doing so would also avoid taking a hit on the Elio's rear tire. :D
I agree. Most should fit in that spot. We will just have to rethink a little. On my motorcycle, I can move over to miss it usually. The Elio should have some ability to move around within its own lane moreso than a wider car though it doesn't have a super narrow front track.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I teach my kids to drive, I have them sit behind the wheel and look at the white line on the side of the road. Then, I have them look to see where the white line intersects the windshield wiper and tell them that lets you know that you are in the middle of the lane. When you start driving in your Elio, move to the left without crossing over, see where the center line intersects on a point on the car and then move to the right and do the same and memorize the points. This will help till your brain learns where the car should be without thinking about it. JMO

Top Bottom