• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Earth-sheltered "hobbit" Houses?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree..................But................... a "bathroom" in the kitchen area?
oops..That's a 2 1/2 bathroom.

If I was a single man, I'd have one right in the living room! There's a fine line between efficiency and laziness.;)

Sethodine, I like it! If I could come across a nice secluded, high-and-dry chuck of property out here, I'd consider something like that.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"The shotcrete (concrete mixed with nylon fibers to allow the material to be sprayed) is then sprayed on the foam over the rebar, creating a reinforced concrete shell. The combination of the dome form and the foam form a waterproof barrier that minimize water seepage"

No. Neither foam nor concrete or shotcrete are waterproof. Get yourself a real waterproofing membrane. No amount of 'water seepage' inside an occupied building is acceptable.
The airform itself forms a waterproof membrane. Monolithic.org doesn't specify anything about the airform material other than it's a PVC-coated fabric that is waterproof (they use the same material when they make water tanks and rainwater containment areas) and uses RF welding to make seams.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I was a single man, I'd have one right in the living room! There's a fine line between efficiency and laziness.;)

Sethodine, I like it! If I could come across a nice secluded, high-and-dry chuck of property out here, I'd consider something like that.
I agree! A couple of observations:
  1. I like how the 1/2 bathroom is right next to the front entryway. Only thing missing in that area is a front hall closet for storing coats, hats, boots, inconveniently timed ex-girlfriends, etc.
  2. I also like how the front entryway opens right into the kitchen, making it impossible for spawn to sneak in unless they learn (which they will) to jink right immediately upon entering. However, they WILL have to come out and pass by the kitchen on their way to watch TV (no TVs in the bedroom, no video games in there, etc.) making it possible for parental units to snag them and force them to set the table, wash dishes, and otherwise work for their gruel.
  3. Although the drawing shows green grass growing up the sides of the house, you REALLY do not want that in real life. Attractively arranged rock formations and/or lush native overgrowth are called for there, unless you want to rig up some special pulley system for the lawn mower.
  4. That patio space out back is PERFECT for a hidden underground safe room/bomb shelter for storing food, water, inconveniently timed ex-girlfriends (with their permission of course, unless you want to go all Stephen King on them), etc. I'm just saying...

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In southern California, it is difficult to find a house with a basement. Everyone has a concrete "pad" on which the house is built.

Having grown up in Missouri where all my neighbors had basements, I like them. Basements double the volume of the house without nearly doubling the cost of the house.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although the drawing shows green grass growing up the sides of the house, you REALLY do not want that in real life. Attractively arranged rock formations and/or lush native overgrowth are called for there, unless you want to rig up some special pulley system for the lawn mower.

Living plants would be vital to maintain soil cohesion, or else the rain would wash it away. However, it's true that we wouldn't grow grass on it either; it would either be garden plants, ground cover herbs, or small shrubs (I'd particularly love to plant a rhododendron or two on the walls). And in the event of [apocalypse scenario of choice] we could screen the entire building by planting wild blackberry bushes. They take quickly, and in a single season would almost completely obscure the house from view (and ever-bearing varieties provide delicious foodstuffs throughout the growing season).

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Living plants would be vital to maintain soil cohesion, or else the rain would wash it away. However, it's true that we wouldn't grow grass on it either; it would either be garden plants, ground cover herbs, or small shrubs (I'd particularly love to plant a rhododendron or two on the walls). And in the event of [apocalypse scenario of choice] we could screen the entire building by planting wild blackberry bushes. They take quickly, and in a single season would almost completely obscure the house from view (and ever-bearing varieties provide delicious foodstuffs throughout the growing season).

Hmmm...how about terraces instead of conformal vegetation. You could grow enough fruits and veggies on your house to easily feed everybody living in it, and no mowing required. I put raised beds (2x10) in a few years ago because I got so tired of trying to keep the weeds at bay. Terraced beds on an earthen home should be just as low maintenance (well...as "low maintenance" as living under a garden would be :rolleyes:).

Top Bottom