• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Earth-sheltered "hobbit" Houses?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could see it as a camper. It's got at least as much space as a teardrop trailer. If your local govt. doesn't have a problem with you parking it for extended periods in your backyard, then you could use it as an office.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, the particular earth-sheltered system that I originally linked to--Green Magic Homes--has updated their website with new renders, pictures of real projects, and a brand-new FAQ. The FAQ answers a lot of the questions posed here, which is pretty fantastic.

First, for colder climates they recommend coating the shell with up to 2 feet of foam insulation before covering it in soil. I figured this might be a legitimate option, but knowing that others have done this and that they actually recommend this makes me feel better about considering it.

Secondly, they mention it is entirely possible to cover the fiberglass shell with steel-reinforced concrete if you want. Their engineers will even work out the design for you according to your houseplan and site setup. This would make building custom apocalypse bunkers so much easier :p

The new FAQ also includes easier to understand technical data, such as maximum recommended soil and vegitation loads. In related news, my wife and I are now keeping our eyes open for the right property in our area to build one of these houses. Maybe we'll have it up by the time I get my Elio :)

Ben Purdy

Reaction score
Any update on this? I've also been considering getting a green magic home and would like to know how this turned out. As far as possible issues, the main ones ive though of are possible additions to the house will be quite difficult, with windows the size of the ones listed on their website i would assume insolation may not be as good as what one would presume and finally the obvious downside to losing space making cabinets/refrigerators/ext work in a curved wall environment.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Any update on this? I've also been considering getting a green magic home and would like to know how this turned out. As far as possible issues, the main ones ive though of are possible additions to the house will be quite difficult, with windows the size of the ones listed on their website i would assume insolation may not be as good as what one would presume and finally the obvious downside to losing space making cabinets/refrigerators/ext work in a curved wall environment.
This thread was created by Sethodine; you might want to PM him if he doesn't respond.

Top Bottom