• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Earth-sheltered "hobbit" Houses?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any update on this? I've also been considering getting a green magic home and would like to know how this turned out. As far as possible issues, the main ones ive though of are possible additions to the house will be quite difficult, with windows the size of the ones listed on their website i would assume insolation may not be as good as what one would presume and finally the obvious downside to losing space making cabinets/refrigerators/ext work in a curved wall environment.

Yeah, I'm still planning on building one of these sometime in the next couple years.

Additions would not be difficult if you plan ahead. When you contact your local distributor, they will be able to help you design plans that can incorporate future additions.

I will not be purchasing the windows and doors that they manufacture, but instead will be putting in my own so that I can have double-pane, well-insulated windows. Also, I will be putting in a bay window in one of the large arches, instead of the glass sliding doors they make.

As far as furniture and most appliances goes, the walls are perfectly vertical up to 35 inches, so counters, stoves and most other furniture can be put flush against the wall without issue. Placing the fridge would be difficult, and kitchen cabinets would be difficult (but not impossible) to build against the curved walls. It will just take planning, because they will need mounting bolts drilled through the walls before the soil covers those locations.

One solution for the fridge, is I am planning to build a "walk-in root cellar" into the plans (basically an extra hallway that leads nowhere, with shelves on the walls). With a heavy insulated door to isolate it from the rest of the house, it will be possible to keep a lot of stuff cool in there. Then I will use a compact fridge (<35" high) for all the stuff that really needs a fridge (milk etc). And really, you could just put in a couple mini-fridges under the counters, instead of a giant stand-up model.

I'm really excited for this project, and am looking forward to seeing how it develops over the next few years.

Paul DeCrans

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
So, I just discovered this company called Green Magic Homes. They make modular kits for constructing earth-sheltered houses that look like Bilbo's home from The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings. My wife and I have become particularly entranced, and are considering building one of these homes for our first house.

What do you guys think? Have you heard of them before? What issues can you see this type of housing having vs. a conventional house?

They cost about $41.70 per square foot (delivered), and a 3-bedroom shell can be bolted and weather-sealed by a team of 3 people in just 5-6 days. High earthquake resistance too, they can ride out a 10.0 (good for the PNW, where we're expecting "the big one" any decade now). Engineered up to International Building Code, so they are legal in the county I'm looking to build it in, too.
There are a couple in lakes country near me and they are really cool I have been looking at them if I were ever to get some lake property. I am not sure what permits are needed for them though

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are a couple in lakes country near me and they are really cool I have been looking at them if I were ever to get some lake property. I am not sure what permits are needed for them though

Well, the Green Magic Homes are designed to meet International Building Code, so most counties and cities will allow them as long as the floorplan also meets your local Fire codes (enough exits in the event of an emergency, etc). But of course, any land in any sort of gated community may have design rules that would prohibit something as weird as an earth-sheltered home, so finding land can be difficult near urban and suburban areas.

But if you buy some acreage out in the middle of nowhere, things get a lot easier :D

Top Bottom