• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Easy In/easy Out?

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone who has ever owned a 2 door car knows the back seat is always a pain to get in and out of, that's just the nature of the beast. And anyone knows that getting in and out of a car that is a bit lower than you are used to can find it a bit more difficult. With that being said, Elio did just about as good with the seating that they could considering the design involved to create the Elio. It's a 2 door with ground clearance that is a bit lower than probably most of us are used to. Elio is all about maximizing fuel consumption while giving the best performance possible and as much comfort as possible, there are bound to be compromises somewhere. In my way of thinking, if the compromises balance out with what is offered it's worth the little bit of inconvenience for a good over all package! Perfect seating situation? Nope. Over all balance in creature comforts and performance? I think so, or I wouldn't be getting one. I don't have the money to put down on something that isn't practical enough for my needs.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
anyone knows that getting in and out of a car that is a bit lower than you are used to can find it a bit more difficult.

In my way of thinking, if the compromises balance out with what is offered it's worth the little bit of inconvenience for a good over all package! Perfect seating situation? Nope. Over all balance in creature comforts and performance? I think so

getting in and out of the front seat is a issue for me but the comfort provided by the seat and suspension are of a much higher concern .... I've seen mention of a seat upgrade being available as an option and at this point that presents a bit of a quandary .... if one doesn't have the opportunity of test driving an Elio with both seats, how is one supposed to know which is the best choice ?

Jim

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
getting in and out of the front seat is a issue for me but the comfort provided by the seat and suspension are of a much higher concern .... I've seen mention of a seat upgrade being available as an option and at this point that presents a bit of a quandary .... if one doesn't have the opportunity of test driving an Elio with both seats, how is one supposed to know which is the best choice ?

Jim

I think the only difference will be material Leather or cloth. Someone said it will be the seat from a Mustang so I would go down to a Ford dealer and test the seat out in a base model Mustang.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the only difference will be material Leather or cloth. Someone said it will be the seat from a Mustang so I would go down to a Ford dealer and test the seat out in a base model Mustang.

go down to a Ford dealer ..:eek:.. being a Chevy guy, that will require some considerable courage gathering ..:confused:

Jim

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
go down to a Ford dealer ..:eek:.. being a Chevy guy, that will require some considerable courage gathering ..:confused:

Jim
You could always see what Chevy is closest to the same height and go that route. That is a quandry indeed! I guess check out the ground clearance on the Chevy/Ford/make of choice closest to the Elio and go from there. If a person has gone all in, well, it's a bit late to change one's mind. I guess just give yourself 5 extra minutes either end of the trip to winch yourself in and out!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
May I suggest a Zorro mask?

don't think that would be sufficient .... right now we are traveling in our camper .... for me to make a trip to a Ford dealership when we get home, first I'll have to check with my cardiologist and then make sure my immunizations are all up to date .. :confused:

Jim

BillZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone actually gotten in and out of one?
My '97 Civic is like getting in and out of a go-kart.
I remember, years ago, on "Car Talk" (Klick&Klack), a survey said the then new VW bug was the easiest car for obese people to access because the door opened wider than average. (not that I'm obese)
The issue I've had with ingress/egress of any vehicle is the width of the door and how far into the back seat the front seat back protrudes. None of the pictures that I've seen display the front seat well enough to show how far into the back seat, the front seat back will be. I know this sounds goofy, but that's been my experience.

We've had Mini Coopers as well as VW Beetles (both new and old styles) and the height from the ground can be challenging, but I find the placement of the seat within the door opening to be more of a hassle. I have to slide forward on the seat and lean forward before I attempt to get out or I'll bump into the door column because the seat is partially set into the back seat area.

Just my opinion...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The issue I've had with ingress/egress of any vehicle is the width of the door and how far into the back seat the front seat back protrudes. .

understood, that's pretty much the reason we buy vehicles with 4 doors .... the last vehicle we had with a back seat and 2 doors was a '60 Chevy Malibu (I didn't count our '75 Vette, no back seat) .... if the road show is on schedule and we get to see the P4 in Raleigh in December, the ease of getting in/out of the front and back seats will be something we check closely .... I seriously doubt I'll spend much time in the rear seat but I have no doubt friends will want to test drive it

Jim

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
understood, that's pretty much the reason we buy vehicles with 4 doors .... the last vehicle we had with a back seat and 2 doors was a '60 Chevy Malibu (I didn't count our '75 Vette, no back seat) .... if the road show is on schedule and we get to see the P4 in Raleigh in December, the ease of getting in/out of the front and back seats will be something we check closely .... I seriously doubt I'll spend much time in the rear seat but I have no doubt friends will want to test drive it

Jim[/QUOTE
Actually, putting our all in $$ was contingent on the accessibility of the back seat and my wife had the final say. Needless to say, it passed and she's not a big fan of cars that ride lower to the ground. It wasn't perfect but close enough for her to give the okeydokey.

Top Bottom