• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Easy In/easy Out?

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My wife's been spoiled, touring in our RX. She managed to create a nest in the back seat with pillows and blankets, swung down the DVD screen and while crossing the more boring parts of West Texas, would watch a movie while I drove and she munched on popcorn while watching Bruce Willis in the back seat.

Later when we swapped driving duties, I'd curl up in her backseat nest and pretend to watch a movie - but instead enjoyed messing with her radio settings. It seems the DVD remote could control not only my DVD screen, but her radio in the front seat as well. I could stretch out with the headphones on, set to the TV, while I'd surreptitiously change her radio stations or CD selections.

It pays to read the instruction manual. Even when it's the size of a phone book. ;)

I have a portable DVD player now I used to use for product demos. In our Elio, I'm thinking of strapping it to the back of the front seat, creating one of the smallest home theater venues on the road. I'm hoping it will take my wife's mind off the close quarters back there. Otherwise I'm going to be watching a lot of movies . . . . o_O

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone actually gotten in and out of one?
My '97 Civic is like getting in and out of a go-kart.
I remember, years ago, on "Car Talk" (Klick&Klack), a survey said the then new VW bug was the easiest car for obese people to access because the door opened wider than average. (not that I'm obese)

I'm 6'5", BIG-boned and FLUFFY :D, arthritic and I had NO problem getting in and out of the P3...didn't get to see the P4 :(

My bride was able to "walk" into the back, turn around and sit down all the while using her cane :p

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
well I did it .... after getting medical clearance ;) I stopped by the local Ford dealership and took a look at the base model Mustang .... the seat was the standard seat, nice looking, with a black leather cover .... objectively, the seat proved to be more comfortable than I anticipated ..:).. I didn't take any measurements but it would be hard to believe that an Elio would have any less ground clearance than that Mustang .... I don't know about the distance from the seat to the ground of the Elio but if it turns out to be close to that of Mustang, getting in and out wasn't an issue ..:cool:.. now, I've got an overwhelming desire to go and take another shower

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
well I did it .... after getting medical clearance ;) I stopped by the local Ford dealership and took a look at the base model Mustang .... the seat was the standard seat, nice looking, with a black leather cover .... objectively, the seat proved to be more comfortable than I anticipated ..:).. I didn't take any measurements but it would be hard to believe that an Elio would have any less ground clearance than that Mustang .... I don't know about the distance from the seat to the ground of the Elio but if it turns out to be close to that of Mustang, getting in and out wasn't an issue ..:cool:.. now, I've got an overwhelming desire to go and take another shower

Jim

Great! Now you just have to wait just over a month so and you can try it in the real thing! Hopefully you will be able to climb in and out of the P4 just fine as the final model will be a bit higher so it should be even easier. :)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I probably missed it, but how do we know that a Mustang seat is like an Elio seat? :cool:
P4 has Mustang seat and Camaro steering wheel :)

These are just things which many people have recognized and have been confirmed in our discussions with Elio Motors. These are the advantages of using off the shelf parts from existing industry suppliers.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the only difference will be material Leather or cloth. Someone said it will be the seat from a Mustang so I would go down to a Ford dealer and test the seat out in a base model Mustang.

I probably missed it, but how do we know that a Mustang seat is like an Elio seat? :cool:

I went with the info given above

Jim

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone actually gotten in and out of one?
My '97 Civic is like getting in and out of a go-kart.
I remember, years ago, on "Car Talk" (Klick&Klack), a survey said the then new VW bug was the easiest car for obese people to access because the door opened wider than average. (not that I'm obese)
saw it here in Dallas back in March.. it was lower to get into than my Jeep , but the same as my friends Camry..no different then a sports car.

Top Bottom