• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd rather have Elio put in a center light to meet the current law as opposed to paying a lobbyist to try to pass autocycle legislation and trying to get an ATVM loan. Right now, all future funding needs to be devoted to finishing it and getting them on the road. Maybe after 2-3 years where Elio becomes a powerhouse in three wheelers, then they can do it.

The other thing could be this. Maybe there's a maximum distance from headlight to headlight and the Elio meets that spec. Somehow, Vanderhall is getting by and their headlights are pretty close together.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Uniti website says this has a target 149mi range, 26kWh battery, 78mph speed and 1980lb. weight.
The Uniti One looks extremely low to the ground. It doesn't mention a target price. ???
The base model target price is mentioned in an EVInsiders article to be $17,000. Also, in a screen grab it looks like the Uniti One has a similar ground clearance as the SOLO, but considerably more overall vehicle height than the SOLO when comparing it to the sedan parked next to it and the exiting driver. The Uniti One reminds me of a refined Commuter Cars Tango in terms of the overall vehicle platform and dimensions. I wish it had the Tangos performance and safety specs. :) I wonder if it meets the USA Federal auto crash testing requirements?

E9E0C1D0-8B07-40E7-9F61-9413FC8F1A90.jpeg

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd rather have Elio put in a center light to meet the current law as opposed to paying a lobbyist to try to pass autocycle legislation and trying to get an ATVM loan. Right now, all future funding needs to be devoted to finishing it and getting them on the road. Maybe after 2-3 years where Elio becomes a powerhouse in three wheelers, then they can do it.

The other thing could be this. Maybe there's a maximum distance from headlight to headlight and the Elio meets that spec. Somehow, Vanderhall is getting by and their headlights are pretty close together.

Nope. 200mm edge to edge. Which I believe is about 8 inches.
It's under NHTSA S10.17 Motorcycle Headlight Systems
That distance is defined in paragraph S10.17.1.1.3
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.108

The Vanderhall, the T-Rex and the Tanom Invader are getting an UNOFFICIAL "wink and nod" exemption.
It's because of their greater width and their side-by-side seating. That came directly from my conversation with Tanom.
The Polaris could have gotten a pass, but chose to include a center array in case the NHTSA decides to someday change their mind.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know federal laws but where I live the white is considered "mostly white in appearance." People get by with yellow headlights but that doesn't mean a company could.

Also, why the passenger door? Am I alone in thinking that it's a waste.
That's why I used quotation marks. Some of the halide "whites" are almost blue.
I don't think amber/yellow headlights cut it with the feds. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.108

Originally, the Solo prototypes only had a passenger door.
Something about the manufacturer feeling that exiting away from traffic was safer.
Fans of the Solo, including me, expressed their desire for a driver side door. And they listened.

They've told us that it doesn't cost much more to have doors on both sides.
In fact, they anticipate saving a little bit of money by not having to re-tool for Europe and the UK.

Once in a while people have to park next to poles and other obstacles that block egress from one door or another.
And besides, I like having the same option of exiting from an undamaged side as I do with a vehicle with side-by-side seating.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How the FUV’s center headlight evolved through the motorcycle validation testing and production model certification requirements.
View attachment 23307

SOLO’s:

View attachment 23308
From finished to finesse! :whoo:These two new players in the 3wheeler market will give new meaning to what "fun ride" is. But take heed, if you're the kind of person that does not enjoy attention then the FUV and the SOLO are not for you...specially after you tell them how much you paid for it!
In other news, Electra Meccanica entertained the idea of taking over GM's Oshawa operations in Canada once the plant closes at year's end. Not only will it keep EMV's operation at home, it will potentially save 3,000 Canadian workers from being out of work. Now compare that to EM's promised 1,500 jobs, EMV's more promising.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From finished to finesse! :whoo:These two new players in the 3wheeler market will give new meaning to what "fun ride" is. But take heed, if you're the kind of person that does not enjoy attention then the FUV and the SOLO are not for you...specially after you tell them how much you paid for it!
In other news, Electra Meccanica entertained the idea of taking over GM's Oshawa operations in Canada once the plant closes at year's end. Not only will it keep EMV's operation at home, it will potentially save 3,000 Canadian workers from being out of work. Now compare that to EM's promised 1,500 jobs, EMV's more promising.
Yes, fun and attention grabbing rides! Heck, I was approached 3 times by people with questions during my 45 minute test drive. I decided that I’ll just flip people off after I take delivery..............oh, I kid, I do enjoy talking to people with questions and interest. :)A referral fee would be an appropriate marketing tool. I believe EMV SOLO has a $100 referral credit Program already in place and Arcimoto has mentioned the possibility of a referral fee.

The AMP is currently providing 77 new green tech jobs in Eugene, OR.

Last edited:

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I still hate the passenger door but I like that the stock has earned me a small profit the last couple of days. I might consider a Solo if I finally give up on Elio.

More likely I'll just skip the "plus one" car, but at least it's an option.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I still hate the passenger door but I like that the stock has earned me a small profit the last couple of days. I might consider a Solo if I finally give up on Elio.

More likely I'll just skip the "plus one" car, but at least it's an option.
It seems like a nice little package.

I think the Sondors looks great, seats three and is now projected to have a dual-motor (non-hub) front wheel drive.
But the Sondors is a little heavier and it may be a couple of years, if ever, before we see them delivered.

Two out of the mere three updates we've gotten in a year were from a third party that knows Storm.
According to the last update about a week ago from that third party, the vehicle is still in Europe being tested..

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure how long the http://sondors.network/ website has been public or when it was last updated, but I saw a timeline there recently that laid out:

January 2019 -- $15M Series A fundraising
August 2019 -- Network Beta Testing
November 2019 -- Official Launch
TBA -- 750 Vehicles in Los Angeles

A Facebook post from late November 2018, presumably written by Storm himself, made reference to test drives in North America becoming available this upcoming May/June 2019 timeframe, which was the first public acknowledgement by the company, I believe, that the vehicles would not launch in April 2019 as originally planned.

Top Bottom