• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are right but it's a play toy. Not a supplement for everyday transportation and it's geographically limited. It's just like a Miata. Yes there are people that use them for everyday transportation but most do not. They use it to take their wife out or go on weekend drives. Thus the reason why they don't sell many per year. As for Elio, it goes after the people that can use it to replace their everyday transportation. Then it's for the poor that need reliable transportation to get out of the poverty cycle, then the people that want to be green for the environment and lastly, the people that make it a garage queen. As we all know, you can't count on the last ones to make a living.

In the end, do I spend $20K on an Arcimoto or choose the multitude of various Miatas that are used and probably been a garage queen (if it hasn't been already turned int a Spec Miata) for half that price. At least if I have a Miata I can use it more often and not be weather limited.
You've gotta stop selling this dream of an ELIO and comparing it with the likes of Arcimoto and SOLO whose time has come, are giving test drives and already sold units! The ELIO, no matter how I like it, is far from being a reality unless real funding (200+ millions) are found. And toy??? When combustion engine in a wheeled vehicle first came about, it was a laughable toy, where a horse was faster, so try to remember your history. It's what people like that matters and if it fits their need then what's toy to you are a fun and functional means of transport to others.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 23221
This is NOT going to make you folks happy! I pulled my reservation on the SOLO after seeing too many "clips of chips" and scratches in the rocker panels. It's just too low to the ground and won't survive the potholes, manholes and any other holes on the road. Plus, it doesn't qualify for the federal tax credit. So, while I'm waiting for the Sondors to take reservations, I put 149 Euros (refundable) down on a Uniti One, a four-wheeler that WILL qualify for the tax credit and will do about 300km (200 miles) on a charge.
The Uniti website says this has a target 149mi range, 26kWh battery, 78mph speed and 1980lb. weight.
The Uniti One looks extremely low to the ground. It doesn't mention a target price. ???

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw one with three auxiliary lights on the hood. Can someone explain that? I couldn't find why the need it. It's not bad but I'm not sure why it's there.

Since three wheelers are still classified as motorcycles they need to meet motorcycle headlight requirements in the US regarding distance apart. That is why Arcimoto had to move their headlight location as well and unless Elio gets the autocycle definition pushed through then they will have to likely move their headlights closer or add another. The Slingshot already has a central headlight and apparently Vanderhall is operating under a "wink and look the other way" policy.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since three wheelers are still classified as motorcycles they need to meet motorcycle headlight requirements in the US regarding distance apart. That is why Arcimoto had to move their headlight location as well and unless Elio gets the autocycle definition pushed through then they will have to likely move their headlights closer or add another. The Slingshot already has a central headlight and apparently Vanderhall is operating under a "wink and look the other way" policy.
It’s not the autocycle definition Elio needs to push through, but rather federal legislation to create a new vehicle classification. Elio may as well integrate the required center headlight into their next prototype build. Arcimoto didn’t move the original headlights (which now have amber colored lamps) but, simply added the center headlights as did EMV as a validation/certification requirement for their USA destined SOLOs.
How the Arcimoto’s headlights evolved through the validation/certification process.

377463B5-B6BE-439C-B8D2-193EC40F730F.jpeg

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw one with three auxiliary lights on the hood. Can someone explain that? I couldn't find why the need it. It's not bad but I'm not sure why it's there.
Yep. If you're talking about the Solo, that's the 2019 Chinese-made production model made exclusively for the US market.
It has three headlamps in a scoop-design center fixture in addition to still having lights in the original location.

It comes standard on the US model only. Canada does not require the center fixture, but I believe Canadians can order it as an option.

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope. You're right. It wouldn't. It's got to be the main source of "white" illumination on the (NHTSA classification) Solo motorcycle.
I don't know federal laws but where I live the white is considered "mostly white in appearance." People get by with yellow headlights but that doesn't mean a company could.

Also, why the passenger door? Am I alone in thinking that it's a waste.

Top Bottom