• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Eventually I'll settle for this silver with SOLO name. Stops any smart ass from asking WHY ONLY ONE SEAT???? Read it and weep! kidding aside, I'll be more than happy to explain to them the concept behind the SOLO....or I can just simply say this "ride" is for those that hates giving "rides"! LOL
Screenshot_20190123-101612.jpg

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope if and when the ELIO's start rolling they get better reviews than this.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-electra-meccanica-solo-review/

It appears the Solo is not suited for operation in the real world. The review did not point out a single positive reason to own a Solo.

Here’s an interesting paragraph from the article...

“As equipped, steering is a chore, and brake pedal feel is similar to stepping on a brick. There is no regenerative braking, nor will there be. Steering feel is all over the place, at times darty yet completely vague. The suspension travel is short, and minor impacts jar my lumbar spine harshly. Any offset bump flops the Solo like sitting on a three-legged barstool with one leg an inch shorter than the others.”

“As the cabin warms up in the wintry L.A. sun, I roll down the windows. The ensuing wind noise din is louder than one would experience on a motorcycle wearing a helmet without earplugs. There's no A/C in this model, but nonetheless I flip on the fan, which gives off a musty odor evocative of a urinal cake.”

The last sentence in the article was rather comical...”We look forward to testing the updated versions coming from China.”

Leave it to the Chinese to build a better Solo. LOL

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how early in the build process that model was, but it sounds like they have not tuned the driving dynamics at all. Hopefully that is rectified with the production version. I am not a fan of the Solo mainly due to the looks of everything but the front end but would hate for them to fail because of a poorly tuned driving experience.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I mentioned this before how the hand build ones in Canada were pretty much a homebrew style and that the Chinese ones look much more production ready and polished. At least someone else feels the same way I do about the early 40+ they built in Canada. It's not good PR to have someone drive the early non production versions if they are not going to be close to the production version. This is where Solo needs to get all of those Chinese ones here and have a new review.

Maybe this is why Elio stopped having anyone driving their cars because they were not close to the polished production version we have yet to see.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I mentioned this before how the hand build ones in Canada were pretty much a homebrew style and that the Chinese ones look much more production ready and polished. At least someone else feels the same way I do about the early 40+ they built in Canada. It's not good PR to have someone drive the early non production versions if they are not going to be close to the production version. This is where Solo needs to get all of those Chinese ones here and have a new review.

Maybe this is why Elio stopped having anyone driving their cars because they were not close to the polished production version we have yet to see.

Agreed, I remember seeing the pictures of the Solo interiors from last year and they looked like well done but garage built interiors using Radio Shack switches. The new ones are definitely a step up.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It appears the Solo is not suited for operation in the real world. The review did not point out a single positive reason to own a Solo.

Here’s an interesting paragraph from the article...

“As equipped, steering is a chore, and brake pedal feel is similar to stepping on a brick. There is no regenerative braking, nor will there be. Steering feel is all over the place, at times darty yet completely vague. The suspension travel is short, and minor impacts jar my lumbar spine harshly. Any offset bump flops the Solo like sitting on a three-legged barstool with one leg an inch shorter than the others.”

“As the cabin warms up in the wintry L.A. sun, I roll down the windows. The ensuing wind noise din is louder than one would experience on a motorcycle wearing a helmet without earplugs. There's no A/C in this model, but nonetheless I flip on the fan, which gives off a musty odor evocative of a urinal cake.”

The last sentence in the article was rather comical...”We look forward to testing the updated versions coming from China.”

Leave it to the Chinese to build a better Solo. LOL
It's an "early hand made version" of the Solo so jumping to conclusion of what the China production version will be like is a little naive at this point. That's why 2nd hand account of people that just read and conclude gloom and doom does not show merit at all. The more imperative it is to wait for the production version to hit their showroom for the "real" test drive. ;)

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Very well said RSchneider!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The earliest of SOLO test drivers and actual SOLO Owners like their SOLOs and offer up positive reviews. Although we would like see positive media reviews...........the Motortrend author’s review is but one reviewer. The most important review follows your personal test drive experience indicating that you will buy it or not.

Top Bottom