• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will I have to go to Canada to buy this, or will Electra Meccanica ship it to me? Will this Solo be available for purchase before the Elio comes out?
The InterMeccanica Custom Coach Builder Partner has been shipping custom built cars worldwide for years. It should be easy to have a Solo white glove shipped to your garage door. The good news is that EMV has mentioned a USA dealer network in progress,

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will I have to go to Canada to buy this, or will Electra Meccanica ship it to me? Will this Solo be available for purchase before the Elio comes out?
Welcome autyw410! Be aware that EMV will honor reservations you have on any other vehicle up to $1000 with no added Solo reservation deposit required.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have you talked to your local DOL and asked what it will take to license it?
Nope. Haven't. I'm not very concerned about it at this point.
To my understanding, the U.S. compliance certification is the first one EMV is going for.
There are enough US reservation holders for me to believe that EMV will walk me through it when the time comes.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems to be a non-issue providing the motorcycle (or auto) conforms to EPA and DOT regulations. The Solo is Electric with zero emissions and is in the process of being USA compliance certified (EPA & DOT). The EMV Solo will have a USA compliance certified Motorcycle VIN number for registration and licensing the vehicle as a Motocycle with an autocycle subclass. Owner's will no doubt have to pay a vehicle State sales tax when licensing the Solo EV.
IMG_5964.jpg

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/297/~/permanently-importing-a-motorcycle

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's impressive about EMV is that they engineered and designed the vehicle for the worldwide market from the get-go. I 'seems' that it will meet worldwide compliance standards. Also, interesting is that the Solo Is required to be crash tested to meet Canada's Compliance Certification.

The Solo is designed to allow for a single door on either side of the vehicle or even two doors if or when required.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A reminder of ElectraM's offer to match your Elio reservation deposit up to $1K and waives the $250 reservation deposit, so no added out of pocket cost if you choose to make a reservation.

If the single seater EV has appeal and works for your everyday commute it may be a way to insure salvaging your all-in Elio deposit in case Paul Elio's recent delay announcement and the new anticipated 2018 production schedule is too far out with no guarantees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom