• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have this idea of spending

I really appreciate the info. Seth. I researched a bit about the Leaf and Nissan actually used their Versa's flatform and extended it a bit. But it weighs about 3500 lbs. The battery alone weighs about 600 lbs. I'm thinking if I decide to buy a used one, say a 2015 model year, I'm gonna trim it's fat, less weight equals longer range. Starting with removing the back seat and making it just a two seater, replacing the wheels with the lightest one available (except the expensive carbon fiber). I can change the whole carpeting with lighter materials too. Can you think of anything else??? Oh, I almost forgot, my wife and I have to lose some lbs. too....:D:D:D I think moving to electric starts to make much sense to me. Drive electric, be healthy! ;)
My recommendation to increase range on your Leaf or Nissan would be to drive solo. :) I'm eager to finally own and drive an EV too. They say once you drive electric you never go back with one exception, the Elio.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My recommendation to increase range on your Leaf or Nissan would be to drive solo. :) I'm eager to finally own and drive an EV too. They say once you drive electric you never go back with one exception, the Elio.
That's a win-win Rickb!

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really appreciate the info. Seth....I'm gonna trim it's fat, less weight equals longer range....Can you think of anything else???

I've read a bit on the Leaf owners board about ways people have increased mileage: some of the front vents can be blocked without adversely impacting cooling, mudflaps moved from behind the front wheels to in-front of the front wheels, keeping the tires inflated to the very maximum, etc. Typical hypermiling, really. At highway speeds, the aero matters more than the weight.

However, I also read about a guy who upgraded his Leaf by adding 10kw of additional inverters, for a total of 13.3kw. The result is that he can add 50 miles of range in just half an hour, using a standard 250v RV/Dryer socket. I think a full battery takes 45 minutes.
http://www.upgrademyleaf.com/examples-of-nissan-leaf-charger-upgrade/

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've read a bit on the Leaf owners board about ways people have increased mileage: some of the front vents can be blocked without adversely impacting cooling, mudflaps moved from behind the front wheels to in-front of the front wheels, keeping the tires inflated to the very maximum, etc. Typical hypermiling, really. At highway speeds, the aero matters more than the weight.

However, I also read about a guy who upgraded his Leaf by adding 10kw of additional inverters, for a total of 13.3kw. The result is that he can add 50 miles of range in just half an hour, using a standard 250v RV/Dryer socket. I think a full battery takes 45 minutes.
http://www.upgrademyleaf.com/examples-of-nissan-leaf-charger-upgrade/

I had driven a 2013 leaf for 2 years 24K the best way to increase range is to drive slower first and use the heater sparingly. I found that the Leaf's heater ineffectual below 25 degrees...

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had driven a 2013 leaf for 2 years 24K the best way to increase range is to drive slower first and use the heater sparingly. I found that the Leaf's heater ineffectual below 25 degrees...

Which trim level was that? Starting with the 2013 model year, SV and SL trims used a heat pump instead of a resistive heater (S trim). From personal experience, the heat pump in our 2013 uses less range and heats better than the resisitive heater in our 2012. But I also live in western Washington state, where tempuratures below 25 degrees are very rare indeed (maybe only a couple days per year).

But yeah, most hypermiler tricks will work just as well in the Leaf as any other car. I've even considered fashioning some rear wheel skirts for the Leaf.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...and with that in mind I just joined you all as future SOLO owner! :cool:
Got my reservation details from C. Koch:
They selected Titanium Silver for mine w/c is perfect or I can change it to black w/c is my 2nd choice.
Order date: March 13, 2017
Order# C - 58
Car# 556
Delivery: Estimated delivery Q1, 2018

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...and with that in mind I just joined you all as future SOLO owner! :cool:
Got my reservation details from C. Koch:
They selected Titanium Silver for mine w/c is perfect or I can change it to black w/c is my 2nd choice.
Order date: March 13, 2017
Order# C - 58
Car# 556
Delivery: Estimated delivery Q1, 2018
IMG_6967.GIF

Nice to have a couple 3wheelin options. Welcome to the Club!

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Which trim level was that? Starting with the 2013 model year, SV and SL trims used a heat pump instead of a resistive heater (S trim). From personal experience, the heat pump in our 2013 uses less range and heats better than the resisitive heater in our 2012. But I also live in western Washington state, where tempuratures below 25 degrees are very rare indeed (maybe only a couple days per year).

But yeah, most hypermiler tricks will work just as well in the Leaf as any other car. I've even considered fashioning some rear wheel skirts for the Leaf.
2013 S . The no heat at low temps and decreased range when cold, did not make me want to buyout the lease. I have driven in Model S at low temps and it was warm, so a model 3 is on the waiting list.

Top Bottom