• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Small assembly area, probably will get a Sondors before my Solo.
It's an adequate 5000 sf of linear assembly line space to assemble the initial 1000 Signature Series SOLOs. EMV has additional parts warehousing space beyond the recent 5000 sf assembly line addition.

My understanding is EMV is scouting for expanding the assembly process based on consumer acceptance and market demand. A start small and scale business model. It's exactly what Arcimoto is doing and what EM should have done. IMO

Why invest millions is large scale assembly facilities until market acceptance is verified?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Small assembly area, probably will get a Sondors before my Solo.

I don't understand this faith in Sondors. The man has brought a single semi-successful product to market; I don't see that as inspiring tremendous amounts of confidence. Meanwhile, the Sondors vehicle is just a computer rendering, while SOLO, Arcimoto, and Elio all have fully-functioning prototypes and are sourcing supplies to gear towards full production (if using different philosophies to get there).

It's a nice looking CG model, and that's about it so-far.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand this faith in Sondors. The man has brought a single semi-successful product to market; I don't see that as inspiring tremendous amounts of confidence. Meanwhile, the Sondors vehicle is just a computer rendering, while SOLO, Arcimoto, and Elio all have fully-functioning prototypes and are sourcing supplies to gear towards full production (if using different philosophies to get there).

It is a nice looking CG model. :)
mobile_Black2.jpg

It reminds me a little of the EMC3 that never seem to get made.
mobile_cropped_image_7.jpg

It has a nice CG interior.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Do you understand the faith in Elio? Sonders has developed a successful business model that will likely work to get a rather simple three wheeler EV to manufacture having fewer component parts than an ICE vehicle. He already has parts suppliers, manufacturing, and shipping partners in place.

In a very short time since his first $Million funding round Sondors has taken his concept renderings to Italian Designers for styling tweaks. 3D surfacing of the Model SONDORS has been completed and a CNC milling of the scale model has begun. They will be forming body panels from the scale model and assembling the first running SONDERS prototype as fast or faster than the EMV SOLOs prototyping which took about a year using the same CNC milling process.

I have no faith in any of the new vehicle startups, but Sondors is on a roll and I'm fascinated by his visionary process of getting a new product to market. Sondors said he would have a Model SONDORS prototype build by years end and he is on track to meet that production milestone. Fun to watch the progress.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score

How was the bike semi-successful? I thought they sold their stock out completely and are back to taking pre-orders again? I think the faith in Sondors comes from the belief that he has been working with manufacturers and suppliers in Asia for years so he knows how to get a cheap product made. His bike was cheap in price, made with cheap parts with reasonable quality. Nothing top notch about the bike, but it was cheap and made it to the market. That is what he said he would do and he did it.

I think the Model Sondors car will be the same. Look nice on the outside but made with the cheapest parts available to meet the goals. And if the build does not meet the goals, change the goals. The original specs for range for his bicycle were ludicrous considering they were using a 9AH battery. Gradually they lowered the stated range to something still really high, but said you reached that with pedaling. Range with pedaling? Like stating Elio's range with pushing!

That is one thing that drew me to the Elio. They are planning on making a cheap/affordable but high quality vehicle. They could have just built out the P2 with maybe a little higher price and lower mileage and still sold a ton. Instead they took their time to refine what seems to be every aspect of the vehicle. Maybe they took too long and blew their chance? I cannot say, but I feel that if both the Elio and the Sondors three wheelers get made, the Elio will win on quality hands down.

I would love to be proven wrong and see the Sondors come in using quality parts and reach the stated range near the $10k price tag (and without a $3,000 delivery fee). We shall see. I missed the window to invest in them, but I really had planned on it. I think in the end he will produce a cheap electric vehicle that I will not want to buy. Just like I built my electric bike for more money instead of just buying his. I like cheap, but I like quality I can depend on even more.

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score

It is all about faith for both the Elio and Sondors. Elio gambled on large volume and a low(perhaps, unrealistic) starting price. As regards the quality of the two, the final production models will make that known. I would like to know, officially, the production goals of my Elio. The Sondors will be know by the end of this year.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is all about faith for both the Elio and Sondors. Elio gambled on large volume and a low(perhaps, unrealistic) starting price. As regards the quality of the two, the final production models will make that known. I would like to know, officially, the production goals of my Elio. The Sondors will be know by the end of this year.
Reservationist Faith based on _________________ or blind faith with both Elio and Sondors?

I have witnessed over the past year and a half EMV's ability to meet major SOLO production milestones with several prototype builds, actual pre-production SOLO builds (10), real track and everyday use road testing, 2 Solo Stores opening, the CEO and the marketing VP attending major Canadian auto show events, 5000 sf of tooled assembly facilities, and experienced employees that can build cars. I started with no faith in EMV, but they have sparked a glimmer of faith based on tangible progress.........along with email responses to questions and discussion with EMV's CEO, Jerry Kroll. It's not so much faith, but perhaps a level of confidence in the company based on the fact that production progress is moving forward at a realistic or even faster than expected pace.

Last edited:
Top Bottom