• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very disappointed from chat. First Jerry seemed excited to say 2 deliveries then 4 then 8 then maybe they could produce 16 a month. I guess at #391 that puts me several years away! He also said if you know of a place that they can manufacture let him know? Then I asked if the deliveries were on schedule an he said that their is no schedule. That's funny because in his order letter to me he said delivery in Q3 2017 just like on his web site. Then lastly he said there will be no A/C in the first Solos and that you should just roll down your windows. That may work in Canada but as a commuter vehicle in the U.S. 80% of the country has a hot or humid summer, not fun with your suit on going to work, if I wanted another motorcycle I would of bought one! No ABS, no regen, no air bag, and no air. Sounds like Fred Flinstones car.
If production keeps doubling each month, ---
month / # produced this month
1/ 2
2/4
3/8
4/16
5/32
6/64
7/128
8/256 (Yours would be produced during this month)
9/512
10/1024
11/2048
12/4096
That's 8,190 produced in the first year.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
haha yeah, I meant miles per kwh.

I would have to average it out across the two rates charged by the power company, but best guess is around 10 cents/kwh. So if you compare to a gas car, I get about 40 miles for $1, versus $2.80+ for a gallon of gasoline in a 40mpg car. Seeing as our PT Cruiser only gets 22mpg, I'm saving significantly compared to that machine. (Aside from the fact that it is fully owned, and I'm still paying off the Leaf :p )
Miles per $1 is a good way to compare electric and gas. I know they have that MPGe rating but it isn't as intuitive as saying that my Truck goes 6.25 miles per dollar (MP$)and your Leaf goes 40 MP$. Thus, if we drive 10,000 miles this year, it'll cost me $1,600 while only costing you $250. It's easy to see that driving your Leaf saves you $1,350 per year over driving my truck. It's actually worse than that as my truck has maintenance costs that your Leaf doesn't.

We all make decisions about our personal vehicles - cost, comfort, utility, feeling, etc... While on active duty, I moved myself rather than let the Air Force move me. The Air Force would pay me a fraction less than they'd pay a moving company to move me. So, I'd make about $7k-$8k per move. It wasn't much more difficult than babysitting the movers for three days. Renting a 26' truck for two trips costs $4,812 for two trips. I moved every 2 years on average (Louisiana to Montana to Ohio to Utah to North Dakota to New Mexico to Nebraska). So, renting a truck would have averaged out to $2,406 per year. If you recall, driving my truck sets me back only $1,350 over driving a Leaf. ALSO, when I get where I'm going, I can leave my second trip's worth of stuff in my trailer so I don't have to store it while I find a house.

In my case, it's actually cheaper to drive my 16MPG truck than to drive a Leaf and rent a truck when I need. Of course, I'm still going to get an Elio so I can cut the number of days I drive my truck to work to almost zero. Between my Elio and my motorcycle, I think I can cover almost all my commuting needs.

As an aside, if you figure you'll split your Elio's mileage between highway and city, you should get somewhere around 66 miles per gallon which works out to 33 MP$ which is really close to an all-electric 40 MP$ Leaf!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only real cost comparison of EVs, hybrids, and ICE would be to use the total cost to operate T.C.O., over a 5 + year period of vehicle ownership. Using the driving it off the dealers lot MSRP of similar vehicle classifications, same financing option, fuel costs, maintenance costs, and other consumables.

luckylu15

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reservationist Faith based on _________________ or blind faith with both Elio and Sondors?

I have witnessed over the past year and a half EMV's ability to meet major SOLO production milestones with several prototype builds, actual pre-production SOLO builds (10), real track and everyday use road testing, 2 Solo Stores opening, the CEO and the marketing VP attending major Canadian auto show events, 5000 sf of tooled assembly facilities, and experienced employees that can build cars. I started with no faith in EMV, but they have sparked a glimmer of faith based on tangible progress.........along with email responses to questions and discussion with EMV's CEO, Jerry Kroll. It's not so much faith, but perhaps a level of confidence in the company based on the fact that production progress is moving forward at a realistic or even faster than expected pace.
I have a SIL on all three and would love to have them all but it sure looks like the Solo is the clear favorite. I only hope that they get with the A/C soon or it will be a no go for me here in Arizona!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a SIL on all three and would love to have them all but it sure looks like the Solo is the clear favorite. I only hope that they get with the A/C soon or it will be a no go for me here in Arizona!
Based on what I hear Kroll say regarding AC, you will be luckylu and get the AC. Many not only want it, but need it for a comfortable ride.

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Based on what I hear Kroll say regarding AC, you will be luckylu and get the AC. Many not only want it, but need it for a comfortable ride.
Yes, I think my reservation will not be exercised, especially if no ABS, AC or Regen. I guess the Sondors is the next candidate. The Elio is just a monthly plea for reservations, with no real manufacturing plans.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I think my reservation will not be exercised, especially if no ABS, AC or Regen. I guess the Sondors is the next candidate. The Elio is just a monthly plea for reservations, with no real manufacturing plans.
AC is mandatory for some owner climates. ABS & regen not a deal breaker on the SOLOs small light wieght platform IMO. I know our opinions vary on this, but I think we will so pleasantly surprised by the SOLOs build quality, performance, and handling that we both plunk down our money. :) I could be wrong.

The Sondors is too far out for me to wait another couple years or likely much longer.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom