1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Electric Drive?

Discussion in 'Elio Drivetrain' started by John M Riley, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Sethodine

Sethodine Elio Addict

Quite a few free stations in my area, usually around shopping centers. The business considers it worth the expense to pay for a couple kw/h to get you to wander around their stores for a few hours. But what I really want to see is the local Drive In Theater to put in some stations!

There is also an online community of people willing to share their home charging stations at www.plugshare.com. It's pretty cool.

2. Coss

Coss Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You still have Drive In Theaters up there?

Karnaj likes this.
  3. Sethodine

Sethodine Elio Addict

Yeah, there is one in Oak Harbor, a little city just beyond the halfway range of my Leaf. We usually go at least once a summer; we have to take the gas car, or else sit around the charging station in town for a couple hours as the Leaf recharges. And in reality we could probably make it all the way there and back without needing a charge, but I don't like cutting it that close if I can help it. If they had a charge station or two at the theater though, then watching a movie with the nice sound system and heated seats of the Leaf would be much preferred over the cramped, drafty '96 Rav4. :)

4. ddufon

ddufon New Member

I prefer electric as a second car. I was considering the Arcimoto. As a commuter car the range didn't bother me, however the lack of permanant shell and no operable side windows is a deal breaker.

5. Rickb

Rickb Elio Addict

The SRK Alpha design should be released soon to include the finalized enclosure design which could be permanent if you leave it on. I believe the windows will be operable. I have a reservation in case it beats the Elio to production.

6. Frim

Frim Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    I believe that if everyone had a solar panel or two feeding the hot water tank they could save about $30 per month on electricity. They would store their energy as hot water. No grid, no batteries.

acamara likes this.
  7. XanWolf

XanWolf Elio Aficionado

Reservation #:
    If the grid were used to transport the electricity, then they could have the PV panels at home and plug their cars in while at work. Do the primary charging during the day and just "as in excess" power charging during the overnight.

8. slinches

slinches Elio Addict

Frim, I have a gas water heater and the total gas bill is usually less than $30/month, so I personally couldn't save that much.

I'd be better off offsetting my AC usage with solar, but I think a more efficient AC unit would still be a better investment.

9. Sethodine

Sethodine Elio Addict

At our old apartment, we offset the electricity consumtion of our electric car when our landlord installed double-pane windows.

I think some people over-estimate just how much electricity an EV draws. Sure, it is a lot. But a lot is also wasted to heat or cool spaces that are insufficently insulated.

10. AriLea

AriLea Elio Addict

I thought this new battery product line was interesting. It's not just conjecture at this point....

https://newatlas.com/nawa-technologies-carbon-ultra-capacitor/54972/

It does make me wonder if such high rate amps are flowing just under your seat, if it wouldn't fry your nuts, err ovaries(or whatever) .. lol.

Johnny Acree likes this.