1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Electric Vehicle Thoughts, Questions & Answers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sethodine, Apr 25, 2016.

1. ThreeWheelBurnin

ThreeWheelBurnin Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    $100 all-in, investor
    I like being able to take a nap in my EV on a hot day at lunch time without filling the parking garage with exhaust fumes while my AC runs.:p

2. Sethodine

Sethodine Elio Addict

Oh, and if all the "what pieces should I use" gets too complicated, Canadian Electric Vehicles offers complete conversion kits and lots of documentation and help for your EV conversion. I've read lots of good things about them! They also do kits tailored to specific vehicles, so it wouldn't surprise me if an Elio kit becomes a thing from them in the coming years. (I'm also really liking the look of their electric Mini trucks :D ).

Their "Universal" kit comes with a Warp 9.

acamara and John-b-gone like this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Elio Addict

I'm close to that. I'm cheap, not green. But if Green is cheap. I'm all in.

4. AriLea

AriLea Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    An article reminded me of something worth noting, maintenance. Except for the batteries, EV are phenomenal in reliability and low maintenance..
    article link on the Testa for that. And for batteries, except for replacement they are as low as gas tanks, more or less. Although, there are lab-in-work cathode-annode upgrades trying/succeeding at getting up to 10x the life from battery power as well. Someday, someday....

Maurtis likes this.
  5. AriLea

AriLea Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Little bit of futurism for battery tech around Zinc-Manganese Oxide chemistry, from a Gizmag Article , the top quote below is the bottom-line stats, and then some quotes from around the web to compare with... But I wonder what they mean as comparable cost, per watt or per pound or per use? Devil is in the detail!

6. Sethodine

Sethodine Elio Addict

That....is very confusing. It's like no single source can even agree on what the capacity for Lithium Ion is... and then trying to compare mAh/g to Wh/Kg, without reference to voltage???

7. Truett Collins

Truett Collins Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Shall we put the next mine in your community?

8. Sethodine

Sethodine Elio Addict

No? Thankfully, North America's apalling lack of Lithium deposits means that won't be necessary.

9. AriLea

AriLea Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    Well, yes, some of that was a bit old, you can't always find a date from a web reference.

I read it as, much more than 300ah/g per gram is possible for Li, but the ah/g for the ZMO lab test is about as dense as what production Li has, but with a lot more cycles possible. If the purchase pricing stands-up equal to Lead-Acid by weight (big if), it's a definite advantage over Li chemistry.
    The bigger deal here is the 5000 cycles. If you use your car to the recommended discharge 250 times a year, that's 20 years of use. Possibly above the expected useful life of an EV car, which would then be about double the average working life of a gas-powered car.

10. Marshall

Marshall Elio Addict

Only if you want a community swimming pool. We hit the water table at about 5 feet in my area. But I'm sure the alligator and turtle populations would love it.