• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elgin Poll Reality Check

How much extra if at all would you pay for different instruments

• Nothing. OK as is.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • Up to $300

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Up to $600

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Up to $900

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Up to $1200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over $1200

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here in WA, to go without helmet/endorsment, a three-wheeler needs a "partially or completely" enclosed cab, a steering wheel, and seats with seat belts.

However, another interesting piece of law I hadn't noticed or considered: It is illegal to transport a child of 5 years or less on a motorcycle in Washington state. No provision is made for enclosed cabs with seatbelts; it is simply illegal.

I'm sure somebody will get a ticket in their Elio for doing that, then challenge it in court and get the law changed for enclosed motorcycles, but until then it is just one more risk. (Good thing I don't have kids yet, right?)

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is why the AutoCycle has to be an amendment to current MVD laws.
Not a car and not a motorcycle.
My state has already done this. It will become law next month,on the15th of July.
AN ACT CONCERNING THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES' RECOMMENDATIONS WITH RESPECT TO AUTOCYCLES AND THREE-WHEELED MOTORCYCLES.
Two interesting things that I got from reading that:
1) Autocycles cannot overtake other vehicles. Motorcycles may overtake other motorcycles, but Autocycles may never overtake any other vehicles.
2) While motorcycles do not require personal injury insurance, Autocycles will.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Two interesting things that I got from reading that:
1) Autocycles cannot overtake other vehicles. Motorcycles may overtake other motorcycles, but Autocycles may never overtake any other vehicles.
2) While motorcycles do not require personal injury insurance, Autocycles will.
We are going to get hit with mandatory insurance? CRUD! I was really hoping it would be an optional thing.
But then again, the only time they check to see if you have insurance is if you get pulled over; the only other check I know of (and this one is strange) is when you buy a house. I know some other states check for insurance when you renew your tabs.
And I never knew you couldn't transport an under 5 yr. old on a bike; I took my son out for rides starting at age 2 months. But in an Elio, if you have a 3 or 4 year old in the back seat, who's going to see him or her going down the road?
And "over taking another vehicle" doesn't sound right; I'll call my buddy at Evergreen Safety Console and see what they say. I'm thinking they mean over taking another vehicle while in the same lane.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We are going to get hit with mandatory insurance? CRUD! I was really hoping it would be an optional thing.
But then again, the only time they check to see if you have insurance is if you get pulled over; the only other check I know of (and this one is strange) is when you buy a house. I know some other states check for insurance when you renew your tabs.
And I never knew you couldn't transport an under 5 yr. old on a bike; I took my son out for rides starting at age 2 months. But in an Elio, if you have a 3 or 4 year old in the back seat, who's going to see him or her going down the road?
And "over taking another vehicle" doesn't sound right; I'll call my buddy at Evergreen Safety Console and see what they say. I'm thinking they mean over taking another vehicle while in the same lane.

My post you quoted was talking about the Connecticut law that was being discussed. Still no mandatory insurance for Motorcycles in Washington State, and I never heard anything about overtaking being illegal for bikes here.

The 5 yr old bit is a Washington law thing. Different laws being discussed in different posts :)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
My post you quoted was talking about the Connecticut law that was being discussed. Still no mandatory insurance for Motorcycles in Washington State, and I never heard anything about overtaking being illegal for bikes here.

The 5 yr old bit is a Washington law thing. Different laws being discussed in different posts :)
That's what I get for trying to be coherent this early in the morning.
Would a "NEVER MIND" help?

I'll go find some coffee now, carry on.... :p

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice layout but no tach.
Instruments.png

Search: wooden car cedar
Dolphin gauges??

Edit: http://stuccu.com/s/Dolphin+Gauges-...bab1b1c614fca1f0bd&device=c&msclkid={mscklid}

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice but I'd drop the voltmeter... they really aren't that useful anymore. A simple light telling you your alternator isn't producing as expected is all that you should need. It's odd they take up so much space with a gauge that says so little.

Top Bottom