• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Accessories

saltydog72

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I do alot of morning driving on my daily commute to work,on a lot of occasions i will see critters etc.deer, coon, possum.was driving this other morning and was thinking how the Elio would handle such things.so maybe this would be a good accessory.>
1895-Pennington-with-cow-catcher elio accessories.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do alot of morning driving on my daily commute to work,on a lot of occasions i will see critters etc.deer, coon, possum.was driving this other morning and was thinking how the Elio would handle such things.so maybe this would be a good accessory.>View attachment 9884
What makes that picture so funny is the fact that it was common enough to hit animals even at those slow speeds that someone thought an animal plow was necessary!

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've always wanted a plow like that on my car, regardless of what I was driving.

It's been my experience that Deer strikes are the only ones you really gotta worry about (and other similarly sized animals--cows in range country, Moose in certain parts of Washington and Alaska, etc). And when it comes to deer, most of my experience has been clipping the animal with the headlights, rather than a head-on collision.

With that in mind, I think clipping an animal with one of the fenders will not cause too much damage. Maybe replace the fender and get the alignment checked just-in-case, but I doubt anything short of a Moose would cause serious damage to the front end. And I think a head-on collision would be about the same as any other car. (Does the Elio have a bumper? Or is it just the frame?).

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've always wanted a plow like that on my car, regardless of what I was driving.

It's been my experience that Deer strikes are the only ones you really gotta worry about (and other similarly sized animals--cows in range country, Moose in certain parts of Washington and Alaska, etc). And when it comes to deer, most of my experience has been clipping the animal with the headlights, rather than a head-on collision.

With that in mind, I think clipping an animal with one of the fenders will not cause too much damage. Maybe replace the fender and get the alignment checked just-in-case, but I doubt anything short of a Moose would cause serious damage to the front end. And I think a head-on collision would be about the same as any other car. (Does the Elio have a bumper? Or is it just the frame?).
I wonder if you had time (you don't always, of course) and saw the deer ahead but too close to stop, if you flip your lights off while getting on the horn if it would startle the deer to move out of the way. I think the wheels would usually go right under the deer for the most part but if they didn't, you'd be looking at a complete rebuild of that side at the least. If a small rock at 60mph can break a windshield, 100 lbs + hitting the windshield would be less than fun. But, you can't safety your way out of life.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I hit a deer about 2 months ago. Left front was the contact point. So, in my example... will the height of the standard Elio fender catch enough of the deer to have a full force contact? Tough to say. Might be a chance the Elio will do more of a tripping of a deer rather than a "crunching" on it. As stated by Seth, the arms going to the wheel might have some damage done too.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
And large animal strikes don't happened everywhere; I really doubt that you would find a Moose crossing the street in Miami just like you won't find a Alligator laying on the road in downtown Chicago.

The Elio does have 3 air bags and a full roll cage frame.

If you deal with animals on the road as a constant, you would have to find what everyone else that has that same trek and ask what they do.
The Elio can't possibly be designed to deal with every different situation that you will come across, but they do take the measures to keep the driver and passenger safe in most normal day to day driving.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And large animal strikes don't happened everywhere; I really doubt that you would find a Moose crossing the street in Miami just like you won't find a Alligator laying on the road in downtown Chicago.

The Elio does have 3 air bags and a full roll cage frame.

If you deal with animals on the road as a constant, you would have to find what everyone else that has that same trek and ask what they do.
The Elio can't possibly be designed to deal with every different situation that you will come across, but they do take the measures to keep the driver and passenger safe in most normal day to day driving.

I don't know why exactly, but this made me laugh outloud.

Go Coss!

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
just like you won't find a Alligator laying on the road in downtown Chicago.
Had to do some really hard braking a few mornings ago on my way to work to avoid the 12 foot gator that decided to take a stroll across the highway. Would rather never find out how much damage would ensue in my Chevy Cobalt or my Elio hitting one of those critters.

Top Bottom