• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Accessories

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Colorado deer at 62 MPH.
IMG_0441.JPG

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is called a grill guard. (The black thing.)
F150-ranch-truck.jpg

Even though I have it on the front of my truck I still pay attention and brake for deer.
Almost got a couple Axis deer this morning on my way in to town.
Hit the brakes, missed the deer.

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've lived in Oklahoma most of my life and we do have an abundance of deer. Luckily I have never hit a deer with my car, but have had a few close calls. My mom hit one a few years back in her Camry and it did a significant amount of damage. I have hit smaller animals like rabbits, raccoons, possums and armadillos. Most of the time they do very little damage, but it's still an unnerving experience. I have learned a couple of things, NEVER swerve to avoid an animal in the road, statistics show that those who do usually loose control of the vehicle and end up risking human lives. Also don't try to straddle even a small animal (except for box turtles, which are also abundant in Oklahoma) , it will still hit the under carriage of your car. Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is animal strikes are going to happen and damage will occur (unless you drive a tank) don't expect the Elio to be any different. The best way to avoid things like this is to not drive distracted or tired, stay alert and aware of your surroundings.

saltydog72

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Speaking of fenders on the eplus have you noticed that the more sportier fender the one with less material cost more, I just don't get it.
I've always wanted a plow like that on my car, regardless of what I was driving.

It's been my experience that Deer strikes are the only ones you really gotta worry about (and other similarly sized animals--cows in range country, Moose in certain parts of Washington and Alaska, etc). And when it comes to deer, most of my experience has been clipping the animal with the headlights, rather than a head-on collision.

With that in mind, I think clipping an animal with one of the fenders will not cause too much damage. Maybe replace the fender and get the alignment checked just-in-case, but I doubt anything short of a Moose would cause serious damage to the front end. And I think a head-on collision would be about the same as any other car. (Does the Elio have a bumper? Or is it just the frame?).[/

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of fenders on the eplus have you noticed that the more sportier fender the one with less material cost more, I just don't get it.
They may have less material on the fender, but the part we can't see (the attachment side) has got to be reinforced differently so you don't end up with flutter.
The other thing to consider; price lowers with volume; since they will most likely put the same "skirted" fender on all of the Elio's built; but only put the custom fenders on ??% maybe 10%? So they become a specialty item.
I've seen first hand the aftermath of car versus moose in anchorage, it's not pretty. And usually both sides lose.
One of the managers for our Spokane office had it happen differently; rather than him hitting the deer; the deer hit him just at the back of the left front fender of his 2 year old Explorer. It had been running down a hill around a blind corner, and the deer (a full grown male) slammed into him as he rounded the corner.
It took out the hood, left front fender, drivers door and bent the firewall. Broke the driver door glass, windshield, left rear door glass and dented the left rear door. and set off the steering wheel and side curtain air bags.
Scared him because it was so unexpected, he swerved across the road but was able to get it under control on the shoulder.
I don't know how many thousands it took to fix. but it took them over 2 months to fix it.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score

You don't know what the standard fenders cost. They are standard, not an option.

"Elio Motors: Hello, the new fenders will come with all Elios, and if you buy the retro fenders when you order your Elio, you'll have both sets!"

Top Bottom