• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio And Gas Prices

At what price would you not but an Elio?

• $2.75

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2.25

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We still have "full service" islands at a few gas stations here, but they're practically all in expensive parts of town. An old friend never figured out how to pump her own gas, so she'd go to one of these stations where for about 15¢/gal extra, they'd man the pump for you. That's in addition to the 25¢ premium you paid for doing business in her neighborhood. In addition to being of Scottish extraction, I'm cheap enough that I never got my head around paying an extra 40¢/gal to have my tank overflowed and my windshield greased. :(

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spoke with a gas station owner at the Summit showing in B-Ham yesterday and the man was against the Elio, as he said, "my sales would drop". I simply told him that many Elio owners would be driving much more and his sales may remain the same.:rolleyes:
I'm not too sure he was buying it though.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spoke with a gas station owner at the Summit showing in B-Ham yesterday and the man was against the Elio, as he said, "my sales would drop". I simply told him that many Elio owners would be driving much more and his sales may remain the same.:rolleyes:
I'm not too sure he was buying it though.

sort of like Jevons paradox

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Placement of the fuel fill is not a problem for the driver in Oregon. It is against the law to pump your own gas. :) Z

my brief in number but long in time spent at the pump in Oregon ticked me off so much that I've never purchased another ounce in that state .... we pulled into a station beside an interstate that must have had 10 - 15 fueling lanes .... there were 3 guys there pumping gas and to say that they weren't in a hurry would be giving them too much credit .... they would stand and talk with customers (from my observation, specially young female customers) while traffic backed up .... every since I've been able to fill prior to entering the state and not take on any more fuel until we cross out of the state

Jim

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I understand featherbedding correctly, the riders in the caboose were being paid for not working. Our pump jockeys work very hard. They are not sitting around doing nothing. :) Z
Regarding the standard definition you are generally correct, and I stand corrected. But it was technological change that eliminated the need for staffing the caboose, as has the need for having someone pump your gas. Granted, full service would include checking fluid levels, air pressure, and cleaning windows. The technology that has replaced these manual processes includes self-service pumps with credit card acceptance, idiot lights, tire pressure management system (TPMS) and windshield washer fluid pumps.

As an alternate definition, featherbedding is commonly seen by economists as a solution to "who should bear the burden of technological change." From this perspective, I may be justified.

In the end, we need to allow free markets to decide how the consumer chooses to spend their money.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would rather have the option. What ever happened to the "Full Service" lane at the filling stations? Seems I only see that occasionally now in the North-East. Good to hear you still have it where you are zelio.
It's not full service like we remember it, where they check your oil and fluids and try so sell you new wiper blades. In Oregon they just pump the gas for you, take your money and bring your change.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not full service like we remember it, where they check your oil and fluids and try so sell you new wiper blades. In Oregon they just pump the gas for you, take your money and bring your change.
At Costco they only take credit/debit cards. They do not take cash at all and they are very efficient. :-) Z

Top Bottom