• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio And Gas Prices

At what price would you not but an Elio?

• $2.75

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2.25

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FROM WATCHDOG WIRE - CALIFORNIA
Last updated at December 3, 2014
New gas tax threatens benefits of lower fuel costs to California farmers, consumers
shutterstock_63220036-630x286.jpg
Don't get too excited about the gas prices
December 1, 2014
by California Ag Today

In an effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by the year 2020, California state legislators passed a gas tax law known as AB 32. Starting in 2015, the law’s penalty on carbon emissions will apply to all cars and trucks in the state, meaning that everyone who fills up will pay more. Exactly how much more? Nobody knows yet. It could be as high as 50 cents per gallon with at least a 15-cent increase, beginning in 2015
Now you know why I retired and moved out of California.

imabass

Elio Fan
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum imabass! :)

Sounds like you've got a nice "box of toys" (9 vehicles)! What's one more? ;)

It is quite the variety. I use most of them weekly. There is one that has not been driven in a while because it drinks 1/2 gallon per mile. It was build principally to go a 1/4 mile at a time.

I have the daily commuters that both myself and my wife drive > 100 mile round trip to work. These cars converted to run on propane which is currently costing me $0.85/gallon that converts to $1.10 / GGE. I buy in massive bulk and buy the entire delivery truck contents (2400 gallons) in one trip.

The others are trucks and motorcycles. I have the standard 1/2 ton truck for most stuff and I have the 1.5 ton truck for big stuff around the farm. I have a fleet of motorcycles that I build as a hobby in my shop. The cost to build one is not that expensive but just soaks up the time. The current build is going to be a retrofitted turbo fuel injected 1970 Honda on custom frame.

I have downsized a couple of vehicles but the recent sale that I will miss but don't need was my Ford L8000 flatbed. I plan to buy a 2.5 ton 6x6 military truck as my next toy.

The positive side to the elio would be the incredibly cheap motorcycle insurance. My current bikes work out to $50/year/bike. The cost to add additional bikes is almost laughable.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is quite the variety. I use most of them weekly. There is one that has not been driven in a while because it drinks 1/2 gallon per mile. It was build principally to go a 1/4 mile at a time.

I have the daily commuters that both myself and my wife drive > 100 mile round trip to work. These cars converted to run on propane which is currently costing me $0.85/gallon that converts to $1.10 / GGE. I buy in massive bulk and buy the entire delivery truck contents (2400 gallons) in one trip.

The others are trucks and motorcycles. I have the standard 1/2 ton truck for most stuff and I have the 1.5 ton truck for big stuff around the farm. I have a fleet of motorcycles that I build as a hobby in my shop. The cost to build one is not that expensive but just soaks up the time. The current build is going to be a retrofitted turbo fuel injected 1970 Honda on custom frame.

I have downsized a couple of vehicles but the recent sale that I will miss but don't need was my Ford L8000 flatbed. I plan to buy a 2.5 ton 6x6 military truck as my next toy.

The positive side to the elio would be the incredibly cheap motorcycle insurance. My current bikes work out to $50/year/bike. The cost to add additional bikes is almost laughable.

We call him a collector, others a hoarder

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Obama wants gas tax raised also now. They may be lower but they won't stay there . Don't give up on your ELIO.
Actually Obama doesn't want and has no plans to raise the gas tax. It's a bi-partisan proposal. The U.S. Highway Trust Fund is nearing depletion and the administration has softened it's opposition........perhaps no choice in the matter. Higher mileage cars and lower fuel consumption equate to less Highway Trust Fund tax revenue..........so if we want roads built and highway infrastructure repairs the gas tax no doubt has to increase which hasn't since 1993. It's probably more compliicated than building a car.

It's a catch 22 as vehicles like the 84 mpg Elio are the primary cause and reason for the tax hike. The good news is future Elio ownersare will still be consuming less and saving money. Life is good.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Saw on the news yesterday $1.99 in OK, cheapest I've seen here is $2.59 for 85 octane. I read oil in ND, SD, WY, CO is selling in the $50 a barrel range. Won't be long now and U.S. oil will be to low a price to bother pulling out of the ground again. Another oil bust economy is on the horizon. Just when things were looking up!

imabass

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Saw on the news yesterday $1.99 in OK, cheapest I've seen here is $2.59 for 85 octane. I read oil in ND, SD, WY, CO is selling in the $50 a barrel range. Won't be long now and U.S. oil will be to low a price to bother pulling out of the ground again. Another oil bust economy is on the horizon. Just when things were looking up!

This alone could allow elio to produce the car at their target amount. Oil prices and steel prices move in tandem but steel prices usually lag behind 3-6 months. On the flip side when gas is cheap, people are less likely to buy fuel efficient and this is already evident in the booming truck and SUV markets.

Top Bottom