• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Crowdfunding

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Is DoE and ATVM the same thing? or, Is the reporter miss using the acronyms? or, Does EM have two
loans applied for?

Dept of Energy = DoE, and ATVM = Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing, and yes, DoE is in charge of dishing out the loan guarantees for ATVM. :-)

Art Vandalay

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Dept of Energy = DoE, and ATVM = Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing, and yes, DoE is in charge of dishing out the loan guarantees for ATVM. :)
I find it interesting that the DOE is funding the ATVM under the auspices of bolstering national security by reducing dependence on foreign oil, yet the only recipients of that funding so far have been manufacturers that utilize lithium-ion batteries. Recently, OPEC has been pumping oil like crazy to prevent the U.S. from developing domestic oil sources, so apparently there is plenty of domestic oil available, yet we know that we will need to rely on foreign sources for the lithium required for the batteries. I'm not sure how that bolsters national security. It seems to me it just shifts the foreign trade deficit to South America rather than the middle east.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure how that bolsters national security. It seems to me it just shifts the foreign trade deficit to South America rather than the middle east.

Where China already has leveraged contracts. So maybe they should encourage alternatives to Lithium.

Dual Carbon?(Link)

Racing? (Link)

Density is about the same, 20x faster recharge, lower cost. Availability? TBD

Last edited:

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the DOE is funding the ATVM under the auspices of bolstering national security by reducing dependence on foreign oil, yet the only recipients of that funding so far have been manufacturers that utilize lithium-ion batteries. Recently, OPEC has been pumping oil like crazy to prevent the U.S. from developing domestic oil sources, so apparently there is plenty of domestic oil available, yet we know that we will need to rely on foreign sources for the lithium required for the batteries. I'm not sure how that bolsters national security. It seems to me it just shifts the foreign trade deficit to South America rather than the middle east.
We just have to wait for Elon Musk to get his battery factory up and running and we won't have to worry about the lithium that will be Elons problem. Besides who would you rather have the govt work with, Middle East or South America? Just asking.

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
yet we know that we will need to rely on foreign sources for the lithium required for the batteries. I'm not sure how that bolsters national security. It seems to me it just shifts the foreign trade deficit to South America rather than the middle east.

There are other choices;

Lithum.JPG

Top Bottom