1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Elio External Storage Boxes / Fighter Jet Intake Mod

Discussion in 'Elio Photos and Videos' started by Sethodine, Jul 2, 2016.

1. outsydthebox

outsydthebox Elio Addict

This just gave me an interesting idea...What about all of the wasted space under that rear cover? The rear tire is very narrow and I think some storage boxes could be made to better utilize that space. Some access doors can be added to the cover and wouldn't affect the air flow. I think there is enough space, to fit a full face helmet on either side of the tire, above the swing-arm. I know, we have no reason to carry motorcycle helmets, but many of us here used to ride, so....just for perspective.

2. vietvetx2

vietvetx2 Elio Aficionado

Machine gun blisters ala WW II B-25s but don't forget the heads up gun sight. :-)

xtspode likes this.
  3. vietvetx2

vietvetx2 Elio Aficionado

For two to travel it wold be easier to tow a motorcycle cargo trailer or what I want is a small pop up camper. If a 750cc motorcycle can do this, it should be no problem for the Elio. Gee; the milage might drop to 70 MPH. I can live with that.

xtspode, NSTG8R, Jim H and 2 others like this.
  4. wizard of ahs

wizard of ahs Elio Addict

5. booboo

booboo Elio Addict

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    outsydthebox likes this.
  6. W. WIllie

W. WIllie Elio Addict

7. booboo

booboo Elio Addict

Here is an "aero" teardrop you might like. Only $27,637 US.

8. raptor213

raptor213 Elio Addict

That Alto Safari Condo teardrop trailer is pretty cool. But with an empty curb weight of 2,000# and a maximum allowable weight of 2,700#, that would most definitely be out of reach for our precious Elio's to pull.

Consider that most coupes, midsize sedans, full-size sedans, crossovers, compact SUV's, and even light-duty pickup trucks have maximum recommended towing capabilities of less than 1,500#.

Reference: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle /towing-capacity-chart.htm

booboo likes this.
  9. W. WIllie

W. WIllie Elio Addict

That trailer is great. No wasted space, compact, and everything installed is functional.
    Good aero when collapsed for towing, but not with the Elio.

booboo likes this.
  10. raptor213

raptor213 Elio Addict

I was thinking more along the lines of an Escapade Excel motorcycle cargo trailer. For more info, see either/both of these dealers' websites:

http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_92&products_id=410

http://californiasidecar.com/index.php/trikes/show/excel

Empty curb weight of 250#, cargo capacity of 350#, max. gross trailer weight of 600#, less than 15# of tongue weight.

Like the Elio, these trailers are proudly build in the USA (Virginia), made-to-order out of hand-molded fiberglass. The downside is the invoice tips the scales between $4500-6000 assembled, painted, accessorized, crated, and delivered. It's nearly doubling the cost of your Elio acquisition.

IMHO, assuming you can get a fully equipped and optioned Elio to your liking out the door for say $11k, and a customized cargo trailer for $5k, $16k combined isn't bad for a hyper-mileage two-seater prepared for grocery shopping, golf outings, picnics, camping, cross-country trips, or even a suburban stock-up trip to Costco. With a cargo opening that's 4'x3', there's not much you couldn't accomplish.

booboo likes this.