• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Fenders...retro-futuristic?

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doing more research, I found someone else had a similar, albeit larger scale idea:
image.jpeg

It might take creating a support ring around the tire and adding an electric motor to automate the Armadelio fenders (my name for it), but it otherwise seems totally doable. I might actually do this for a unique look for my fenders.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Doing more research, I found someone else had a similar, albeit larger scale idea:
View attachment 10433
It might take creating a support ring around the tire and adding an electric motor to automate the Armadelio fenders (my name for it), but it otherwise seems totally doable. I might actually do this for a unique look for my fenders.
If you could figure out a way to motorize it, and maybe one for the body; could you picture pulling up to a restaurant that has outdoor dinning, you pull up to your parking place, get out, click the remote, and all of these covers section out over the Elio. The WOW effect would be off the chart.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you could figure out a way to motorize it, and maybe one for the body; could you picture pulling up to a restaurant that has outdoor dinning, you pull up to your parking place, get out, click the remote, and all of these covers section out over the Elio. The WOW effect would be off the chart.
Perfect way to introduce the Armadelio!

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I was looking at the standard front fenders and noticing that they seem to have a lot of flat (or nearly flat) surface to provide wind resistance. I was wondering if a more left-to-right rounded would cut down the resistance. I have no idea of the fluid dynamics; but it just caught my eye earlier....

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was looking at the standard front fenders and noticing that they seem to have a lot of flat (or nearly flat) surface to provide wind resistance. I was wondering if a more left-to-right rounded would cut down the resistance. I have no idea of the fluid dynamics; but it just caught my eye earlier....
Trust them, they know what they're about.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the "retro" fenders?
If so; those aren't the stock fenders, the full wheel cover ones are; and that's what the aero and high mileage is designed to work with.
The retro fenders aren't designed to give you the 84mpg; they just give you a different "look"; your mileage will probably take a hit with them on.

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
No, the standard fenders. True, they are rounded on the front from top to bottom; but from side to side they are squared off a fair amount.

Top Bottom