• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Debbie Bruce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I asked the Elio Team about Autocycle insurance, I asked if any deal's could be made with any LARGE Insurance company in this new class of three wheel "Autocycles"... I would think that any Insurance company would see a possible LARGE group of new customer's with almost 17,000 new polices ready to be pick-up.... in a very short time...

Elio Team asked me to not ask my Insurance company about the Elio at this time, they were working on a package deal to set up with Insurance companies... because of the Autocycle classification is not in every State at this date... with it having three wheels, Auto controls and enclosed roll cage etc.... Elio Team stated that they have been working for 18 months on Autocycle Insurance deals and all should be in place by production time in 2015...

This is NOT A FACT, it is just what they replied to me when I asked about getting Autocycle insurance before tou
Proud to be... an Elio owner...soon #2225 white with green stripes, auto, cruise control, trail hitch...
In the Q & A section of Elio's web site they say its a motorcycle , their answer to insurance cost is basically they have no idea. I want mine titled as a motorcycle .Full coverage on a 7k motorcyle is about 150 dollars a year, not 6 months, an entire 12 months. Why give insurance companies another category, which would be a new one having nothing to compare it to set rates. Mr Elio stated on Fox and Friends just few days ago it's a motorcycle. You should not believe everything the reps at Elio shows tell you.

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I asked the Elio Team about Autocycle insurance, I asked if any deal's could be made with any LARGE Insurance company in this new class of three wheel "Autocycles"... I would think that any Insurance company would see a possible LARGE group of new customer's with almost 17,000 new polices ready to be pick-up.... in a very short time...

Elio Team asked me to not ask my Insurance company about the Elio at this time, they were working on a package deal to set up with Insurance companies... because of the Autocycle classification is not in every State at this date... with it having three wheels, Auto controls and enclosed roll cage etc.... Elio Team stated that they have been working for 18 months on Autocycle Insurance deals and all should be in place by production time in 2015...

This is NOT A FACT, it is just what they replied to me when I asked about getting Autocycle insurance before touring the plant...
They did say they were working on it to get a great deal for the Elio customers...

Proud to be... an Elio owner...soon #2225 white with green stripes, auto, cruise control, trail hitch...
Thanks for asking the question and reporting the response. Mums the word. LOL :-) Z

rmcelroy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 'backup' plan to the "SB/Elgin Display" is a small 7-9" tablet, with an 'Instrument App' connected to the OBDII connector.
Rog, I just ordered a wifi obd2 reader. I'll get the IOS software later today. Could the dash be an option? Just install a pad holder. Then I get an app, and have the dash I want. I might even make it look like real boobs lol.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rog, I just ordered a wifi obd2 reader. I'll get the IOS software later today. Could the dash be an option? Just install a pad holder. Then I get an app, and have the dash I want. I might even make it look like real boobs lol.
Sounds great; let us know how it works (pictures). Is the 'app' for iPhone or android? I already have a Scan Gauge II (OBDII) in my Honda Element; provides more info that I need or can use. It will be great to have a display with only the information that is 'important' to me.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds great; let us know how it works (pictures). Is the 'app' for iPhone or android? I already have a Scan Gauge II (OBDII) in my Honda Element; provides more info that I need or can use. It will be great to have a display with only the information that is 'important' to me.
Torque pro can look like just about anything and the basic version which is very thorough is free. The obdII adapter, ELM327 costs $12 on Amazon.com. You can easily configure each of several screens with as many or as few gauges as you like. Here is a sample screen shot (you can change sizes of the gauges too.

Screenshot_2012-03-25-20-33-35.png

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They can be interpreted by your brain much faster than digits. There's a reason that after a short LED spurt most everyone went back to needles. Even the top end stuff with computer screens use computer generated needles with maybe some numbers thrown in to impress your friends.

Race cars (not including F1 as a real race car) still use analog gauges with the gauge rotated so the normal reading is on top. That allows for even faster interpretation.
Personally, once I'm used to the range on the speedometer on a vehicle, a glance at the angle will give me enough information on my speed. Having the numbers move instead of the needle is going to mess me up big time.

rmcelroy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thgan
Torque pro can look like just about anything and the basic version which is very thorough is free. The obdII adapter, ELM327 costs $12 on Amazon.com. You can easily configure each of several screens with as many or as few gauges as you like. Here is a sample screen shot (you can change sizes of the gauges too.

View attachment 1026

Thanks for the pic Ty
Rog, the app I was looking at is Ipad/Iphone compatable. I didn't think about needing a fuel guage til last night.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 1026
Ty, great looking app but It is still an app. I want my Elio to have the standard instrument panel that doesn't require a second party app. It should be functional when I leave the factory without having to buy anything else.

Top Bottom