• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A little off topic but still kind of related.

Sky's dash... add to that a couple of led displays in place e of tail lights... really could make some interesting abilities. For instance,
1. When turning, the appropriate light could look sequential similar to the new Mustangs. It could be a large arrow that fades towards the point. When you hit the brakes (turning g right for instance), the left lighthouse just be solid and bright red. The right one would be bright red but an arrow would appear black and disappear to look like a flashing arrow.
2. Hansard lights could flash "Warning"
3. In case of an accident, "CALL 911" could flash.
4. Turning or changing lanes without turn signals could show "I'm an idiot".

The software is easy enough. Panels are bright enough and not too expensive... What do you think? What would you have them do?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately for those who do not like the design EM is likely pretty pleased overall as the more telling indication is how the response has changed once people get a chance to see the prototype gauge cluster in person. If you read through the posts of those who have seen it in person the response has gone from generally negative to generally positive, or at least neutral, on the Elgin.
The video showing the numbers on the dial shows readable numbers, but the dial is over 6 inches in diameter on my computer display. I doubt the real dials in the vehicle will be that large.
Also, no 5 MPH increments are marked.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are there any pictures of the elgin watch this instrument cluster is patterned after? I have not seen it.
I assume it shows numbers through windows instead of a needle on a number dial.
There are millions of watches with needles (hands) on a number dial. How many watches show numbers through windows? This should be an indication of which the general public prefers.

Last edited:

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, everyone, I'm going to eat my hat on this one. When I perused the FMVSS 101 reg, it required MPH or MPH and km/h. So it seems displaying metric isn't a requirement.

I would think that it is in EM best interests to include both MPH and KMH scales on the speedo. How simple and economical can it be to simply print both numbering systems on that dial, which would also allow the Elio to be mass marketed to metric based countries? One dash, for all markets. Or maybe their approach is to have a separate dial/bezel for export countries that USA vehicles will never see? Wasn't there some federal legislation many moons ago that encouraged companies and products to at least include a soft conversion to metric to support the global economy and commerce? This would do that.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The basic design flaw remains -- too much empty space relative to data-bearing space. Bad graphic display of quantitative information. See Edward Tufte, The Graphic Display of Quantitative Information, the classic work in this field. IMO, inefficient and actually dangerous.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The video showing the numbers on the dial shows readable numbers, but the dial is over 6 inches in diameter on my computer display. I doubt the real dials in the vehicle will be that large.
Also, no 5 MPH increments are marked.
Those aren't the final markings that will be on the dial. I've heard the final one will have either 3/8" or 1" high numbers that go past the window. There is a picture of the Lord Elgin watch it is based on in the forum somewhere and should be easy to search. It is well known that sweeping needles are more popular and easy to see but as has been pointed out, the Elio won't exactly be making the numbers sweep very fast.

Russell Naill

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Yep, temp gage (and oil pressure) mean more to me than a tach , and speedo too for that matter! Maybe there is a "programable" display area, I want nothing to do with the Skyz thing, or Ipad/podz. Need that info on the standard display.
Couldn't agree more. Water temp and oil pressure ARE the BLOOD of an engine.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are there any pictures of the elgin watch this instrument cluster is patterned after? I have not seen it.
I assume it shows numbers through windows instead of a needle on a number dial.
There are millions of watches with needles (hands) on a number dial. How many watches show numbers through windows? This should be an indication of which the general public prefers.
Vintage Lord Elgin
image.jpg

Present day Elgin kicked up a notch
image.jpg

Top Bottom