• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Jim, we actually have two different companies here, Dakota and Dakkota. o_O

Dakota Digital is not the same company as Dakkota Lighting/Dakkota Systems, However as Jerome said the dash uses standard connections I would not be surprised at all if the Dakota Digital systems would work fairly easily in the Elio. :)

I remember him saying that and to me that's a major plus

Jim

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
f the matter is that the Elign gauges will be perfectly functional and safe for everyday use.

If you don't like the design that is fine but please stop the nonsense about the gauges being unsafe and/or difficult to use as if this were the case the gauge experts at Dakkota would not produce them as this would expose them to potential liability. Keep in mind that Dakkota has no emotional attachments to the Lord Elgin watch at all and they are experts at gauge design and know what works and what does not much better than anyone commenting on here does.
I don't think putting extra demands on the driver is nonsense. As for Dakkota not making something that might be dangerous, it's entirely possible that the optics of the system haven't even registered with them. And as for making unsafe products, firecrackers are legal here in Ohio. Definitely, not safe, yet they are made and sold. You can also buy single-edge razor blades and carving knives -- very dangerous, perfectly legal, and quite useful.
Companies knowingly or unknowingly make, distribute, and sell dangerous stuff all the time. As for the dash -- why make it worse than it needs to be?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think putting extra demands on the driver is nonsense. As for Dakkota not making something that might be dangerous, it's entirely possible that the optics of the system haven't even registered with them. And as for making unsafe products, firecrackers are legal here in Ohio. Definitely, not safe, yet they are made and sold. You can also buy single-edge razor blades and carving knives -- very dangerous, perfectly legal, and quite useful.
Companies knowingly or unknowingly make, distribute, and sell dangerous stuff all the time. As for the dash -- why make it worse than it needs to be?

The problem with your argument is that it is based entirely on conjecture. There is in fact no actual evidence that the Elgin gauges will be 'putting extra demands on the driver' or that these will be "worse than they need to be". The only way to determine this would be to actually use them in final form which we have not even seen yet so it makes any assumptions that they will be the cause of issues even more questionable.

We can take this a step further and say that even if you were correct that the Elgin gauges are in some way not as good as needle based gauges you are still left with the issue that there is a big difference between a better way of doing something and doing something in an effective way. So even if the Elgin gauges could be considered inferior in some way it still does not mean that they place 'extra demands on the driver' or 'make it worse than it needs to be'. If the gauges do not actually place any measurable extra demands on the driver, are effective, and safe they would not be 'worse than they need to be'.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with your argument is that it is based entirely on conjecture. There is in fact no actual evidence that the Elgin gauges will be 'putting extra demands on the driver' or that these will be "worse than they need to be". The only way to determine this would be to actually use them in final form which we have not even seen yet so it makes any assumptions that they will be the cause of issues even more questionable.

We can take this a step further and say that even if you were correct that the Elgin gauges are in some way not as good as needle based gauges you are still left with the issue that there is a big difference between a better way of doing something and doing something in an effective way. So even if the Elgin gauges could be considered inferior in some way it still does not mean that they place 'extra demands on the driver' or 'make it worse than it needs to be'. If the gauges do not actually place any measurable extra demands on the driver, are effective, and safe they would not be 'worse than they need to be'.

I go back to my statement that my preference would be for a more traditional gauge cluster as that is what I am used to seeing and there are indeed some questions I have about the gauges. However at this point I am also plenty willing to acknowledge that it is impossible to declare these gauges will actually be an issue in any way at all as that would be nothing more than supposition.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I decided to go with a, try it, you'll like it! philosophy. I have no issues with the Elgin regarding safety. Perhaps it will be so popular that Elio will sell a wrist watch version on-line or at the Elio Stores. The ELginIO watch.
I agree. it's not the first thing that pops into my mind when I think "attractive, useful dash" but I'll give it a shot. Maybe the quirky look of the dash will fit well with the quirky nature of the Elio in general. You wouldn't (or shouldn't) wear a coat and tie with flip flops afterall. I would like the abilities of the Skyz system or at least parts of it. But, not at anywhere near $2,000! I'll use my phone and "Waze" for navigation, calls, music, etc... My truck has all the doohickies so the Elio can be more bare bones. Besides, vacations involve more seats than the Elio has anyway.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I go back to my statement that my preference would be for a more traditional gauge cluster as that is what I am used to seeing and there are indeed some questions I have about the gauges. However at this point I am also plenty willing to acknowledge that it is impossible to declare these gauges will actually be an issue in any way at all as that would be nothing more than supposition.
And certainly not worth a peeing contest. I do know Elio is aware of the storm over this and has been discussing it; whether anything will come of that, I don't know. It won't stop me from buying the car (hell, wild horses wouldn't stop me at this point), but it certainly may be just too "far out there" for some potential purchasers.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I may have to accept it doesn't mean I have to compromise my opinion and surrender to the opinions of the Elgin dash fans. I have an equal right to disagree and I will continue to do so. If you chose to remain or become silent you must live with the consequences. I have never surrendered my values and beliefs and won't start now. Put me on record as being opposed to the Elgin dash

ternion

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my biggest issue with EM regarding this instrument clusterf, is their apparent complete commitment against the preferences of many of their reservation holders. At any step they could have made a decision that would provide relief and satisfaction, but their apparent choice at each step seems to have made it more difficult.

I'll walk you through my thought process as I digested the information about the dash in question (subject to inaccuracies, and obviously not actual quotes):

Me: Oh, interesting new gauge concept, maybe someone will like it; but I certainly won't add that option in my vehicle.
EM: HAHA! It'll be on the base model.
Me: Fine, I'll get the option to go with the dash the P4 uses.
EM: HAHA! No such alternative option in place.
Me: Oh look, you'll now have a neato SkyzMatic dash I could replace it with!
EM: HAHA! Not a dash replacement, and possibly 30% of the base cost.
Me: Geez, then I'll just use Torque and an OBDII dongle to get all my readings.
EM: HAHA! That functionality won't exist on the Base model.
Me: Oh, so I can get that functionality as an option?
EM: HAHA! Of course not.
Me: OMG! Then I suppose I'm forced to get a quick and easy dash replacement with temp/voltage/etc from a Pick 'N Pull or online.
EM: GOOD LUCK! Our decision to go with idiot lights might may mean a long electrical headache or big expense is in your future. We've made sure you'll suffer the maximum for not liking our sacred design and appreciating the $10 we saved you.
Me: WTF!?

If I'm wrong about any of the above, I'd like to hear it, because it would give me a bit more hope. Like most of you, not 100% of my information was directly from EM.

Top Bottom