• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gone Bust ?

Karg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, for a company that has gone belly up, their website is usually the first thing to go. The Elio site is still up. I hate to say that Smitty is FOS, maybe just sour grapes. How about some cheese with that whine?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep, Aptera joins the list of spectacular fails including the DeLorean, Edsel and the Kaiser, Wait, the Edsel was just a model fail wasn't it, with some sales? And some other historical attempts did sell some before EOA(End of Attempt) Vector, Studebaker/Pierce Arrow, Stuz, Packard, Duesenberg, Hudsen, these actually sold some.

History is littered with failed new car makers, and new model adventures. It's probably a riskier business than oil or fashion.

There are far fewer three wheel car attempts, but there have been a success or two for those as well.
Successes; Reliant, Isetta, Henkle, Messerschmitt, Morgan. (CanAm and Slingshot not fully enclosed)
Fails; Aptera, Mathis, Gizmo, Dymaxion. Fuel Vapor(so far), TriHawk
And, depending on your view of success, Freeway, Sparrow(Corbin).
http://www.3wheelers.com/aztour.html for many more examples.

We won't even discuss concepts/prototypes that didn't even try, such as the GM Lean Machine, 1LVW,GX3, 1986 DerScooter.

If it was my call for the Elio, I would have fit the production to the money I had, then tried to expand on it. But then that would have been a $25k+ niche novelty product (Like my Atlantric). And expanding that back out to the $6800 Elio would have been at least as risky as just starting out that way.
In fact it's nearly impossible to convince investors to dump a $25k product(profitable or not) in exchange for a competing $6800 product.

Anyway, a look at the business aspects of most of the above, the Elio has a much better chance. It really has only one pivotal issue at the moment. Those I've noted above had many.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2. It will fail and what is left purchased by someone else. It will be produced on a smaller scale at a higher price. But new owners will not honor the current reservation.
Number two is just that..."number two". Smells the same. You have no evidence to back up that statement. Now, "who is bad mouthing" PE?
Why don't you back up that statement and right here and now, pledge that you are soooo sure that EM is going bust, that even "if" it goes to production, you refuse to buy one? And then, quit your whining?

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Number two is just that..."number two". Smells the same. You have no evidence to back up that statement. Now, "who is bad mouthing" PE?
Why don't you back up that statement and right here and now, pledge that you are soooo sure that EM is going bust, that even "if" it goes to production, you refuse to buy one? And then, quit your whining?
Way out of line.

This post has been reported as has #22.

Last edited:

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Just stating fact. ELIO is broke flat out broke. They have missed every goal they have set. If you can't face that you are the one with issues. They are not in production nor are they even close to starting . Elio needs a kick in the pants and some that can draw in investors
There were out comes listed if you bother to read it.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do have to wonder about the idea self-stated by a couple of people on this forum, to save the world from the evil of putting money down on reservations. And as part of that, also claim there is a complete fail, before a fail has actually happened. I do think that is counter to the purpose of this forum.

No wonder it so contentious in this box.

But on the other hand, this is an 'owners' forum, and all (or most) of us are just 'hopeful future owners'.

Closing the thread, will not likely stop the contentious behavior. But I personally won't miss it.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do have to wonder about the idea self-stated by a couple of people on this forum, to save the world from the evil of putting money down on reservations. And as part of that, also claim there is a complete fail, before a fail has actually happened. I do think that is counter to the purpose of this forum.

No wonder it so contentious in this box.

But on the other hand, this is an 'owners' forum, and all (or most) of us are just 'hopeful future owners'.

Closing the thread, will not likely stop the contentious behavior. But I personally won't miss it.
Your comment made perfect sense as a Hopeful Future Elio Owners Forum, which essentially means there is no place for various levels of hope to hopelessness that relates to Elio Motors progress. I finally understand that mentality. The future is ours to see, what will be will be. Good luck out there.

Arilea, you should consider your undecided third color option to be a custom orange & white two tone. It would certainly look color coordinated parked next to your future orange and white Elios.
image.jpg image.jpg

Top Bottom