• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gone Bust ?

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I read this earlier today, and ever since then a song keeps playing in my head by REO Speed Wagon
<<...music..acoustic guitar strumming....>
Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from another that the little car is gone......

And

"Talk is cheap if a story is good..."

And the whole songs point is, "don't always believe what you hear........"
Hearsay is not proof.

Nice! Bringing REO Speedwagon into the conversation lightened the mood and made me smile. Take it on the run, baby!

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fact:
: something that truly exists or happens : something that has actual existence
: a true piece of information

1. Why is it that some people are instantly willing to accept anything as truth without a shred of real evidence?
2. Why is it that some people are willing to believe people that are known to make up stories in an attempt cause them emotional suffering?
3. Why is it that some people can't resist spreading unsubstantiated rumors?
4. Why are some people so gullible?

Here are my observations and experiences... not that you were looking for answers :D
1. Because it might be interesting, exciting, shining a negative light on something or someone. Everyone loves a conspiracy.
2. I haven't a clue, I've never known anyone to believe a person, knowing that person makes up stories.
3. Because everyone loves to tell someone a conspiracy that the someone may not know. And, most of us are glad to tell stories that make someone else look bad; it makes us feel better about ourselves. Sad but true.
4. Some people are gullible because either they don't care about being gullible or they actually want to be gullible. Not sure why, maybe they like the attention when others call out their gullibility.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
's
Here are my observations and experiences... not that you were looking for answers :D
1. Because it might be interesting, exciting, shining a negative light on something or someone. Everyone loves a conspiracy.
2. I haven't a clue, I've never known anyone to believe a person, knowing that person makes up stories.
3. Because everyone loves to tell someone a conspiracy that the someone may not know. And, most of us are glad to tell stories that make someone else look bad; it makes us feel better about ourselves. Sad but true.
4. Some people are gullible because either they don't care about being gullible or they actually want to be gullible. Not sure why, maybe they like the attention when others call out their gullibility.
(just a reminder, we all know this)
Well, there is a whole other boat that floats for people. It's called emotional thinking. We aren't actually as much thinking beings as we are feeling beings.
It colors everything. So the fact often is we hear what we want to hear and we believe what we want to believe.

So the second question for me is, does 'person in question' want to hear the truth, or hear that the truth is what they want it to be?

The other human motivation is we want company, and for others to believe and be what we want them to be. To feel vindicated, (here's the biggie) to belong and feel safe.

From the point of view of 'Vulcan Logic' we humans are very screwy indeed. The fight between fact and feeling is IMHO the very basis of politics.

I think the first question should always be, "what is my motivation, am I imposing feeling over fact, or not seeing clearly the truth of things?" We are our own worst enemies, so we have to try very hard everyday to compensate for that.

Wisdom, how long can you live without it? Some of us seem to total up to (at least) 1 full lifetime.

I do think people need to learn their own lessons, it's not my job to fix them. On the other hand, it is my job to be honest, lend a hand, give a hint, maybe a little prompt or two. ! Learn my own lessons !

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone here a licensed psychologist?
No? Then could everyone possibly stop with the psychobabble?

Let's see now... what was the topic?
Oh... right... never mind.
o_O

Last edited:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
's
(just a reminder, we all know this)
Well, there is a whole other boat that floats for people. It's called emotional thinking. We aren't actually as much thinking beings as we are feeling beings.
It colors everything. So the fact often is we hear what we want to hear and we believe what we want to believe.

So the second question for me is, does 'person in question' want to hear the truth, or hear that the truth is what they want it to be?

The other human motivation is we want company, and for others to believe and be what we want them to be. To feel vindicated, (here's the biggie) to belong and feel safe.

From the point of view of 'Vulcan Logic' we humans are very screwy indeed. The fight between fact and feeling is IMHO the very basis of politics.

I think the first question should always be, "what is my motivation, am I imposing feeling over fact, or not seeing clearly the truth of things?" We are our own worst enemies, so we have to try very hard everyday to compensate for that.

Wisdom, how long can you live without it? Some of us seem to total up to (at least) 1 full lifetime.

I do think people need to learn their own lessons, it's not my job to fix them. On the other hand, it is my job to be honest, lend a hand, give a hint, maybe a little prompt or two. ! Learn my own lessons !

Very well said AriLea! :-)

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone here a licensed psychologist?
No? Then could everyone possibly stop with the psychobabble?

Let's see now... what was the topic?
Oh... right... never mind.
o_O

Hi E. A.,

I'm not sure that most licensed psychologists could help with this thread. :) I was only addressing the questions put in this thread. Didn't mean to put forth psychobabble, just sharing my experiences and observations.

I'm optimistic by nature, and I'd like to think that if even one person can improve their life in any way by reading something I've posted, that's worth 50 people that request a hold on what I've said.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi E. A.,

I'm not sure that most licensed psychologists could help with this thread. :) I was only addressing the questions put in this thread. Didn't mean to put forth psychobabble, just sharing my experiences and observations.

I'm optimistic by nature, and I'd like to think that if even one person can improve their life in any way by reading something I've posted, that's worth 50 people that request a hold on what I've said.
Jeff, do you serve up a slice with that good advice? If so I'm all in! I noticed your pizza making avatar and I'm a pizza making addict as well as an Elio addict.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jeff, do you serve up a slice with that good advice? If so I'm all in! I noticed your pizza making avatar and I'm a pizza making addict as well as an Elio addict.

Yes sir! Enjoy making pizza, but I don't do it very often! I should do it more. In college, I worked at a place that sold pizza, beer, hamburgers. We'd roll out our own dough, and made the pizza sauce in 5-gallon buckets, MAN was it tasty.

Off topic alert! lol What toppings makes your perfect pizza Rick?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes sir! Enjoy making pizza, but I don't do it very often! I should do it more. In college, I worked at a place that sold pizza, beer, hamburgers. We'd roll out our own dough, and made the pizza sauce in 5-gallon buckets, MAN was it tasty.

Off topic alert! lol What toppings makes your perfect pizza Rick?
Off topic yes, but it's the Elio gone bust thread, which should go off topic! lol
It's all about the hand stretched crust, homemade sauce, hand shredded whole milk moz cheese, and a little quality pepperoni. I finally perfected a from scratch pizza and a conventional oven method that bakes it in 4.5 minutes to the bubbly charred perfection you would expect from a wood fired oven. I know........food and recipe thread.
image.jpg

Top Bottom