• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio/iav Engine Dyno Testing

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: In short I personally feel that no news is just no news in this case.

Having followed events since the beginning of this year I have seen the steady progression of fulfilled
statements from Elio, et/al. I see nothing to dispel my belief that Elio is 'not' relying on the ATVM
loan to produce the initial 60K reservation Units & thereby solidify their position vis-a-vis the
ATVM which, arguably, will enable the building of stores, & distribution centers, etc, etc........ :)

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually dug through the "supplier partners" page on the Elio website. I hope relations are really good between Paul and IAV, because he's entrusted IAV with all of this:

"What does IAV supply to Elio Motors?

IAV is the engine designer for Elio Motors. They will design and develop the entire powertrain for the vehicle (engine, transmission, powertrain control system? Including performance, emissions, validation and endurance testing."

Implications for us eager-beavers are 1. Don't expect news leaks; 2. If something doesn't work right, it's on IAV's nickel (and timetable) to fix it; 3. All that testing is going to take a while.

Finally, there's an interesting question -- If Paul's buying an off-the-shelf tranny, as he has often stated, what's IAV's design role in that choice?

All very interesting, but don't hold your breaths.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ekh --- As far as the transaxle is concerned I really don't think the term "off the shelf" means what you think it does. Final drive ratios possibly gear ratios and gear spacing will need to be fine tuned to the engine rpm, HP, and torque curves. Of course all this data can only be acquired after the engine testing and fine tuning are completed. So "off the shelf" really means that a transaxle won't need to be designed from scratch but will need a few tweeks to match the engines performance parameters.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Having followed events since the beginning of this year I have seen the steady progression of fulfilled
statements from Elio, et/al. I see nothing to dispel my belief that Elio is 'not' relying on the ATVM
loan to produce the initial 60K initial reservation Units & thereby solidify their position vis-a-vis the
ATVM which, arguably, will enable the building of stores, & distribution centers, etc, etc........ :)

I echo your views, Kuda. ATVM is likely to be a sideshow vis a vis getting to production, interesting though it is.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I think some of the silence may be due to Paul's need to keep his investors informed of progress before making any public comments. Since right now the two major impediments or challenges to progress are the ATVM loan and the motor, it is safe to assume that we won't hear a thing until the present is in the box, wrapped, addressed, and under the tree for a bit. The investors will want plenty of time to ponder and they will of course be getting regular updates, such as they are.

In short I personally feel that no news is just no news in this case.

Big agree here. :)

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Paul Elio: Hello DOE..........what's the status of my ATVM loan application?
DOE Rep: You have a loan application?
Paul: What the hell!
DOE Rep: Just messing with you Paul..........it's moving along on schedule.
Paul: Whew! Good news. I'll check back tomorrow.

How can we expect any kind of daily or weekly update on the IAV engine and/or the ATVM loan application until the process is complete? The no news is a result of nothing to update. The good news is both are progressing.

LOL @ "What the hell!"

Top Bottom