• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Insurance - Cost. - General Discussion And / Or Specifically Advanced Coverages.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
M/C insurance rates are not based on how long you have been a rider. Insurance rates are based on a bunch of things such as age and accidents which could impact your M/C insurance rates but in no way different from any other automobile.

Besides, I suspect that with EM legislative and insurance efforts I doubt the elio will actually be a M/C by the time it comes out next year.
That's certainly a possibility . . . and a good reason for EM to do all the expensive design work to get the Elio compliant with automobile safety standards. It's one thing to move the headlights, but a far more complex task to add airbags, roll cage, crumple zones, ABS, etc. that could have put the project on the shelf before its introduction. No, EM is playing it smart, not only designing in conventional automotive safety standards, but heading off any regulatory delays as well.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's certainly a possibility . . . and a good reason for EM to do all the expensive design work to get the Elio compliant with automobile safety standards. It's one thing to move the headlights, but a far more complex task to add airbags, roll cage, crumple zones, ABS, etc. that could have put the project on the shelf before its introduction. No, EM is playing it smart, not only designing in conventional automotive safety standards, but heading off any regulatory delays as well.

Once again, I am impressed that EM is concerned with more than just "what it will cost them" to manufacture this revolutionary vehicle. They are working diligently to make it affordable and easy to own, too.

GO ELIO!

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
M/C insurance rates are not based on how long you have been a rider. Insurance rates are based on a bunch of things such as age and accidents which could impact your M/C insurance rates but in no way different from any other automobile.

Besides, I suspect that with EM legislative and insurance efforts I doubt the elio will actually be a M/C by the time it comes out next year.
As long as it is not in the same classification as automobiles, that is OK; however for some reasons we will have a happy middle ground if classified as a motorcycle without the requirement of a MC DL endorsement and no helmet requirements, i.e. HOV lanes, no smog requirement in CA, etc. While Elio is making the vehicle to automobile standards, I don't want it to be a MUST. Think about some of the mods people are discussing; will they be legal if classified as a car?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio will not be classified as a car because of those very restrictive auto regulations...........at best a new auto cycle classification is born only to generate higher licensing fees and insurance premiums. Leave it a motorcycle and simply exempt the MC endorsement and helmet requirements because Elio is enclosed, has a conventional seat, and a steering wheel.

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just checked with my insurance carrier, USAA, and they will NOT cover the Elio when it comes out. Does anyone know of any insurance companies that will cover the Elio?

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing insurance thread
Wait util Elio has done there crash test phase and or closer to the production phase. Insurance would have to have some document specs, and crash test ratings. Then they have concrete facts, documents for an Elio Auto cycle. They will also have some tiype of VIN on the crash tested Elio, which again is needed concrete,factual data for an insurance compay which would be formulating a policy. That is how I look at it. I had also read about the NHTSA (national highway traffic safety administration ), having the recomentation on the table already for the AAMVA (american association of motor vehicle administrators) for the classification of the Elio as an Auto Cycle. That is one well written report on designating it as an Auto Cycle. I came across a link when I was searching for how was the Elio going to be classified (it is an Auto Cycle).
The Elio is a great work in progress eh!I am amazed and thankful for all they are doing. The Elio team sure has being doing a lot of work, I aplaud them! Thank you Paul Elio and the Elio Team!
Terrence Bernard :) another future Elio owner to be all in Hoorah!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is the first time I've seen/heard in a media announcement EM refer to the Elio officially as their high mileage autocycle: The AC designation must be close to official.
image.jpg

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Take a look at this AAMVA(American Association of Motor Vehicles Administrators guide. A guide to aid jurisdictions in adhering to a consistent method of defining and identifying three -wheel vehicles. Section two, distinguishing three-wheel motorcycle from autocycles. Twelve pages of a very well written report!

file:///C:/Users/I3PC/Downloads/3%20Wheel%20Vehicles%20BestPractices.pdf

pablotech1

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the classification of the Elio (motorcycle or car) will ultimately determine the cost of insuring an Elio. I think it will be the cost to the insurer for providing insurance. For instance, the only two reasons I can think of motorcycles costing less than cars might not apply well to the Elio.

1. Damage and injury to other parties. A 300 lb motorcycle would not cause as much damage or injury as a one-ton car. The Elio is about 1,200 lb, or half the weight of a car, 4X that a motorcycle.
2. Ridership of motorcycles is seasonal, and the prices might reflect that many won't use their motorcycle as often as their car. I don't think this will apply to the Elio either.

Overall, I think the cost of insuring an Elio will be somewhat lower than an average car, mainly due to the $6,800 replacement cost.

A little Kawasaki Ninja 250 weights 375lbs. My V-Star 1100 Custom weights 700lbs.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Talking with EM rep in Columbus, said if owners have a problem getting coverage, they will recruit an insurance company themselves, with quality coverage with a good price, like they did with Pep Boys, and give them all the business by offering it as an option. I think with every Elio under one insurance company, we should get a real good deal. JMO

Top Bottom