• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Insurance - Cost. - General Discussion And / Or Specifically Advanced Coverages.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: I could be wrong however at least at first I don't expect to see the Elio covered as car but as a motorcycle since that is the type of VIN it has.

When the time comes get a quote from geico (they advertise motorcycle ins. like mad)
then go to your guy/gal & see what they'll do for you..........no I don't have geico, yet.........:D
https://www.geico.com/getaquote/motorcycle/

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry I brought it up. :cool:
Don't be, it's all good discussion. It's just the Can-Am is a ride-on vehicle only different from a motorcycle in that it has two front wheels. The Elio is a ride-in vehicle only different from a car in that it lacks one wheel. Other than being wheel-driven, gas-powered, three-wheeled, and registered as motorcycles, I think the Elio and Spyder are nothing alike.

When the time comes get a quote from geico (they advertise motorcycle ins. like mad)
then go to your guy/gal & see what they'll do for you..........no I don't have geico, yet.........:D
https://www.geico.com/getaquote/motorcycle/
I use Geico and Progressive to beat up Allstate once or twice a year. It's kept my insurance going down for about three years running. :) I wouldn't ever actually switch to Geico, they have a horrible reputation if you file a claim.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My wife and I put our toe in the water for the $100 all-in and are looking forward to getting one. Hopefully, it will be built in large numbers and a strong aftermarket will spring up. I see things like pop-open rear windows and a rear window replacement option for the trunk lid.

I called our insurance guy the other day to see what my insurance costs would be. He said he would look into it since the vehicle was not yet offered for sale and was not in 'the system'.
When he called back, he said he could not write a policy from his preferred Company so he called Progressive. The underwriter for them had heard of the Elio but they are not going to cover it.

He buffered this bad news with the knowledge that Companies did not insure the Ford F350 when it first came out either, and now they do.

On another note;
I assume that Elio has made several P4 models for demos and as prototypes but I was wondering if anyone knows how many have actually been made?

Moderator comment: Welcome to ElioOwners.com. I have moved your question into this already existing insurance discussion thread
Joe, welcome to the forum and congratulations on jumping right in. As you can see our members are friendly helpful, and highly engaged. Using the forum search function you can quickly find the answers to most of your questions but if not, just ask. Hope you have an opportunity to see an Elio in person soon because it will convince you that this is a great vehicle that will change the nature of commuting. Enjoy the experience and the journey and again, welcome.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People just like having something to compare things with and this is hard to do with the Elio as there just isn't anything close to it on the market. The Can-Am Spyder is the only three wheeled tadpole configuration motorcycle in wide circulation right now so people will naturally use that even if it is not a very good comparison. In terms of safety features and driving style I would agree that sub-compact cars are likely a better fit however even most of those cost thousands more than the Elio and they are cars not motorcycles.

I could be wrong however at least at first I don't expect to see the Elio covered as car but as a motorcycle since that is the type of VIN it has.
I'm thinking in terms of what I'm expecting near-term. My guess is that the algorithms the actuaries use to determine risk etc don't support autocycles yet. If I were an agent plugging data in for a quote, I'd probably have to select something like "motorcycle, 900cc, make/model other" maybe trike is built in - but they're probably not going to have options in the system for seat belts, airbags etc.
The closest thing out there under 20k is the Can-Am so it's a natural thing to check - at least in the context of motorcycle vs trike insurance cost.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My wife and I put our toe in the water for the $100 all-in and are looking forward to getting one. Hopefully, it will be built in large numbers and a strong aftermarket will spring up. I see things like pop-open rear windows and a rear window replacement option for the trunk lid.

I called our insurance guy the other day to see what my insurance costs would be. He said he would look into it since the vehicle was not yet offered for sale and was not in 'the system'.
When he called back, he said he could not write a policy from his preferred Company so he called Progressive. The underwriter for them had heard of the Elio but they are not going to cover it.

He buffered this bad news with the knowledge that Companies did not insure the Ford F350 when it first came out either, and now they do.

On another note;
I assume that Elio has made several P4 models for demos and as prototypes but I was wondering if anyone knows how many have actually been made?

Moderator comment: Welcome to ElioOwners.com. I have moved your question into this already existing insurance discussion thread
Welcome :)

BillZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great advice - this is so true.
A little off topic, but I find this true when considering any auto purchase: go talk to the mechanics and they can tell you which vehicles they have to work on all the time and which ones they almost never see. (I used to work at a repair place back in the day.)

Top Bottom