• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Insurance - Cost. - General Discussion And / Or Specifically Advanced Coverages.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome ElioOwners.com from Atlanta,GA! :)

This insurance question is a common question many people have for obvious reasons. According to the federal government the Elio is a motorcycle so we do expect insurance companies who offer motorcycle coverage to also offer insurance coverage for the Elio even if they are not ready to commit to it just yet. What Elio Motors has told us is that after they have a finalized vehicle locked down and have completed the crash testing they will prepare packets of information which they will then share with the insurance companies so the insurance companies can decide how to handle insurance coverage. This will likely happen about 3-6 months before production begins which is currently scheduled for the second half of 2015.

Elio Motors has produced and will only produce one P4 which is their fourth generation prototype. Sometime in the next 2 months or so we expect to hear about the P5 which should be the last prototype before they start building a series of pre-production models which will be used for final testing including crash safety testing.

You have joined a very diverse group of people from all over the country who really enjoy discussing everything there is to know about this interesting vehicle. I hope you enjoy your time here reading about and/or discussing all there is to know about Elio Motors.

We have a survey we like reservation holders to fill out if they wish as it really helps us visualize the growing numbers and locations of future Elio Owners. For more information visit this link: http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-reservation-map-and-survey.1129/

We also have a thread for our many current and former service members to introduce themselves. As I already know that applies to you make sure you stop in an introduce yourself on this thread: http://www.elioowners.com/threads/military-service.1118/

If you ever happen to have any issues while on this forum please be sure to notify a staff member as we are here to help. :cool:

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I imagine fewer than a dozen people have asked up to now. Let's change that. I'll try a couple motorcycle insurance companies too.
Don't waste your (and their!) time.

Put yourself if their shoes: Would you want your time ($$money$$) wasted discussing a vehicle that isn't even in production yet and won't be for more than a year? Where's the money to be made in that? Insurance companies likely aren't even going to start looking at it until production begins. They'll have several months between then and when deliveries actually begin to decide what to do and how much to charge.

Don't worry, there will be insurance available when you get yours.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Put yourself if their shoes: Would you want your time ($$money$$) wasted discussing a vehicle that isn't even in production yet and won't be for more than a year? Where's the money to be made in that? Insurance companies likely aren't even going to start looking at it until production begins. They'll have several months between then and when deliveries actually begin to decide what to do and how much to charge.

Good point. EM did say they would address it. But if they don't I have my sword in hand! :-)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, there is a way to push this at the grass roots level. Just simply make inquiries to two insurance companies. Just imagine 34,000 people asking. At some point they will come around. They will have to consider losing customers to a company who does insure it.
I imagine fewer than a dozen people have asked up to now. Let's change that. I'll try a couple motorcycle insurance companies too.
If not now, I would think this should be started no later than 2nd quarter of 2015.

What we need to do is stay on Elio Motors to make sure they get those packets of information to the insurance companies several months prior to production as this is what is really going to make a difference. Once the insurance companies have that information they will have what they need to decide how to handle Elio insurance. I don't believe it will be an issue at all once the companies have the inforamtion they need.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know who insures Can-Am Spyder riders and what they pay for insurance? :cool:
Some cursory search results come up with everything from 350-1800/year depending on company/coverage/history/location etc.
Can-Ams also cost significantly more.

Not only does the Can-Am Spyder cost significantly more but they also don't have the safety features, such as full roll cage and three air bags, that the Elio will have.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not only does the Can-Am Spyder cost significantly more but they also don't have the safety features, such as full roll cage and three air bags, that the Elio will have.
Continually amuses me how folks try to compare the Can-Am and Elio, like the Can-Am was a useful reference. The Can-Am and Elio are comparable just like the Caterham 7 and Toyota Camry are comparable. I.e. not really. I think the Elio is much closer to a Camry than it is to a Spyder.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Continually amuses me how folks try to compare the Can-Am and Elio, like the Can-Am was a useful reference. The Can-Am and Elio are comparable just like the Caterham 7 and Toyota Camry are comparable. I.e. not really. I think the Elio is much closer to a Camry than it is to a Spyder.

People just like having something to compare things with and this is hard to do with the Elio as there just isn't anything close to it on the market. The Can-Am Spyder is the only three wheeled tadpole configuration motorcycle in wide circulation right now so people will naturally use that even if it is not a very good comparison. In terms of safety features and driving style I would agree that sub-compact cars are likely a better fit however even most of those cost thousands more than the Elio and they are cars not motorcycles.

I could be wrong however at least at first I don't expect to see the Elio covered as car but as a motorcycle since that is the type of VIN it has.

Top Bottom