• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio License Requirement

Louis Wesler

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I sent an email inquiry to DPS, and they confirmed currently a motorcycle endorsement is required.

If they plan to challenge it in the Oklahoma legislature, when are they going to act? It's by no means a sure thing and the only have the 2015 session left. Who is listed as their supporters in the house and senate?

At this point in time you would need a motorcycle License in Oklahoma :-( Senator Don Barrington, is the sponsor for SB 255 which will modify Oklahoma Statutes to create an 'autocycle' classification, which will not need a motorcycle license.nor a helmet, even if under 18 years of age, due to the enclosed cabin, car type sears, seat belts and airbags. So I have already written to Sen. Barrington to let him know he needs to "get her done'.

Louis Wesler

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Its our members who take the time to research information that makes it so enjoyable and informative. Thanks for jumping right in and getting involved. Look forward to your future comments, questions and opinions. Welcome to this historic transportation journey

Unfortunately I think that if you were to drive an Elio in Oklahoma without there being a specific provision to cover them as an autocycle, you could wind up with a ticket for driving without a license because the cop thinks you are driving a motorcycle because it has 3 wheels, or a ticket for driving an unknown vehicle because ti doesnt have 4 wheels, sort of a damned no matter which way you go, and Federal law states that the Elio is actually neither an auto mobile nor a motorcycle, but by definition in between, which Paul elio is trying to get defined as an 'Autocycle' :-)

Louis Wesler

Elio Fan
Reaction score
This is a maybe... helmet laws do not go with the state of residency. Example, if you ride a bike from a non helmet state to a helmet state, you better have a helmet to put on before you enter the helmet state.

I know that licensing and registration laws will revert to the state of residency. For example. Oklahoma does not require personal use trailer be registered or tagged. As long as the non commercial trailer is hooked to a Oklahoma tagged vehicle and the driver has a Oklahoma license, the other state cannot ticket you for no tag. Not to say that they wont and you have to go to court to straighten it out. This is similar to states that require you to have a front and rear license plate. This also applies to safety inspections. OK does not have them so if you go to texas, you do not have to get a inspection at the state line.

hmmm... Based on my logic above, states that license this as a car will likely be exempt from helmet requirements in helmet states.

The only potential gotcha might be that the insurance industry might treat this differently than the state. Maybe a "car" with MC insurance or vise verse.

when I have talked to Farmers Insurance, who have my house and had my car when i did, it will depend on the Federal vehicle Identification number assigned to the vehicle! If the VIN is for an automobile they will charge you for automobile insurance, if the VIN is for a motorcycle they will charge you for motorcycle insurance, but they had no idea what would be charged for the Elio since it is neither one, and they would have to wait until they saw the VIN number and directions from the home office. So I pretty much bet ya that it may not be as much as an automobile but it will be more than a motocycle, and it probably wont cover a damn thing :-) other than the insurance company.

Top Bottom