• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Lighting (head, Tail, Brake, Signal, Fog, Auxiliary, Blinking,etc...)

Would you choose optional lighting on your Elio? (choose all that apply)

• Yes, I want a "third" or higher brake light.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, I want marker lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes, I want signal lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Yes, I want headlights, fog lights or similar on the front wheels.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, I do not want any additional lighting.

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You mean we aren't going to get to see you sitting in the Elio? Sigh! I'm so glad to hear such favorable impressions for something that is, after all, a prototype. I have wondered if the back tire was wider because it looks that way. I'm not sure why because I certainly am not an expert, but I like the idea of the wider back tire. Thank you for your input. I'm glad it was worth your trip. It certainly was worth it for me and it didn't cost me a cent because you are the one who went there. LOL :) Z
Trust me sweet pea, you would rather be looking at the ELIO, not me! The fatter tire makes sense considering it's carrying almost the other half of the trike's total weight (50/50 weight distribution would be the best- the Elio however would be slightly nose heavy from what I gather). It'll be worth waiting for the P5 so by then, what you see is hopefully what you'll get! ;)

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trust me sweet pea, you would rather be looking at the ELIO, not me! The fatter tire makes sense considering it's carrying almost the other half of the trike's total weight (50/50 weight distribution would be the best- the Elio however would be slightly nose heavy from what I gather). Trust me, you would rather wait to see the P5 so by then, what you see is hopefully what you'll get! ;)
I just hope the P5 at least gets as close as Portland, OR. If it does I will make a point of getting up there to see it. In the mean time I have to be satisfied by vicarious means. Sigh! :-) Z

BTW, I like your "signature".

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just hope the P5 at least gets as close as Portland, OR. If it does I will make a point of getting up there to see it. In the mean time I have to be satisfied by vicarious means. Sigh! :) Z

BTW, I like your "signature".
Thanks. Beaverton, OR is one of EM proposed dealership location so there's no reason for them not to showcase it there. Besides, there's no reason like I said to see the P4 when you can wait for the P5. ;)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I understand the Elio's weight distribution is designed so each tire carries an even 33% percent of the weight. This nose heavy weight distribution is supposed to assist with traction in adverse weather as this is a very lightweight front wheel drive vehicle. The rear tire is wider to increase lateral stability as the car only has one tire back there instead of two.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll cool it 'till June- July and if nothing substantial happens, then it's elementary to assume no ELIO will be produced in the first quarter of 2015! I tell ya, I've never experienced so much excitement and frustration at the same time since my first marriage! P5 better be "it" or else.....FUHGEDDABOUDIT! But that's just me.:D

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Saw the P4 the other day, and was quite impressed. One thing that struck me tho, is the need for some sort of signal light, maybe just forward of the door, that would light with the turn signals, like the BMWs and many other cars. Think it would improve safety. Just my $.02.
The shape of the front edge of the front fenders (wheel pants) leaves ample room for an integrated turn signal lens right at that leading edge.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually LED headlights COULD end up costing less because they have less caseing requirement, need much less reflector area cause they're alreadyso directional, and could be much smaller. If not for the fact thatb12 volts is a lousy voltage for LED's it would be a no-brainer. You havebto boost the voltage to something more efficient, then give it a precise current control system and make sure to have plenty of heat dissipation. But electronics are fairly cheap.... It's hard to say which is truely the cheaper option, but one thing is sure; LED uses less power, and less power means less engine drag and that means better fuel efficiency. How much mpg is lost to generate 100 watts or so for headlights I dunno, but it's worth consideration.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually LED headlights COULD end up costing less because they have less caseing requirement, need much less reflector area cause they're alreadyso directional, and could be much smaller. If not for the fact thatb12 volts is a lousy voltage for LED's it would be a no-brainer. You havebto boost the voltage to something more efficient, then give it a precise current control system and make sure to have plenty of heat dissipation. But electronics are fairly cheap.... It's hard to say which is truely the cheaper option, but one thing is sure; LED uses less power, and less power means less engine drag and that means better fuel efficiency. How much mpg is lost to generate 100 watts or so for headlights I dunno, but it's worth consideration.
It seems to me that the alternator is pumping out 14V when it's running regardless of the electrical draw. Do you get worse fuel economy when your listening to the radio in the rain, than having it off on a clear, sunny day?

Top Bottom