• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Price For What Transmission?

Elio Price for What Transmission?

• I Don't Know How to Drive with a Manual Transmission.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you break a leg and/or suddenly have a temporary or permanent disability you will appreciate the AMT in that you will still be able to drive the Elio to your Doc appointments and work.

Yeah, I know there are all kinds of advantages to the AMT over the Manual. Mainly I'm just looking at the cost (both up-front and future repair). With our income level as it is, $1000 is not an amount to scoff at, and I just don't know what the maintainence costs will be on the AMT vs. Manual. I expect the AMT will be cheaper to repair than a traditional torque-converter, but it still has computer/electronic components that are surely more expensive to repair than a mechanical linkage.

But I suppose I also like the idea of no clutch pedal; especially when driving in traffic.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why is it that Elio is Advertising the $6,800.00 Price of the Elio without letting ANYONE know in Clear Basic Terms that it's for a Manual Transmission?
As with all vehicle manufacturers, any particular price is only valid for a specific configuration. They show you a picture of a really nice, fancy, loaded vehicle, and quote a price of "Starting at only $19,999.99!" You have to grab the magnifying glass and search for the fine print that says "$39,524.85 as shown".

The exact configuration of the base model Elio is quite easy to find, if you are interested. You shouldn't expect that it will have any specific option that you want, especially an expensive one.

But, the Majority of People ARE going to Expect to be getting an Automatic Transmission in the Base Elio for the Advertised Price of $6,800.00 when they go to Purchase their Elio.
Based on the price of the vehicle, a paltry $6,800.00, I sure didn't expect to get an automatic transmission included. Anyone who stops and thinks about it for a minute shouldn't, either. This isn't a $30,000 luxury vehicle. And this isn't one of those situations where the "base" model only exists so the manufacturer can advertise some unrealistic low price that no one will ever actually buy. All Elio's start at the minimum configuration and price, and you pay for all the upgrades.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Weird that someone would think a 'base' vehicle would be automatic (the Elio AMT isn't actually even a traditional automatic but whatever).

Putting on a new hat, I thought "Let me play dumb consumer and see if I could misinterpret the Elio site badly enough that I thought the Elio would come with an automatic transmission as part of the standard equipment. Nope. I couldn't do it. I highlighted why in red. It's on their web page and isn't hidden or misleading at all.

Technical Features include:
  • Elio Safety Management System that includes three airbags, reinforced steel frame, and Anti-Lock Braking System
  • Fuel-injected, SOHC gas-powered, Variable Valve Lift, 3 cyl., .9 liter, liquid-cooled, automotive engine
  • Front Engine / Front-Wheel Drive
  • 8-Gallon Tank / Targeted 84 MPG (Highway)
  • Standard 5-speed manual or available automatic transmission
  • Parking brake
  • Top speed over 100 MPH
  • 0-60 speed in 9.6 seconds
  • 55 HP and 55 LB-FT of torque
  • Traction Control, Stability Control
  • 12:1 Compression
  • Regular Unleaded Fuel
  • Tire Sizes: Front: 135/80 R15 Rear: 175/65 R15

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We make constant reference to the $6800 base price due to continued marketing strategy, but the base model price isn't locked in. The $6800 target price was set years ago. Factor in inflation, EM's statement a couple years ago it's closer to $7300 +, recent changes in engineering and design, and the higher than anticipated cost of Configuator options like AMT. I expect the $6800 base used for marketing purposes only to be much closer to $8600 than $6800.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We make constant reference to the $6800 base price due to continued marketing strategy, but the base model price isn't locked in. The $6800 target price was set years ago. Factor in inflation, EM's statement a couple years ago it's closer to $7300 +, recent changes in engineering and design, and the higher than anticipated cost of Configuator options like AMT. I expect the $6800 base used for marketing purposes only to be much closer to $8600 than $6800.

So far, my Elio looks to be about $8000 with options, so depending on the final base price (and other options I might decide I can't live without) I'm planning on saving $9000 for mine.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why is it that Elio is Advertising the $6,800.00 Price of the Elio without letting ANYONE know in Clear Basic Terms that it's for a Manual Transmission?

The difference between Automatic Transmissions and Manual Transmissions in Automobiles today is Just 3.9 percent for Manual which by basic math makes it 94.1 percent for Automatic Transmissions.

Read this. https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-news/2805/manual-vs-automatic/

On myelio.me the Configuator is available to personalize your Elio.

On the section for Transmissions, the Automatic Transmission is $1,050.00 which makes the Elio with Nothing else added a total of $7,850.00 which should have been disclosed in ALL of Elio's Advertisements.

Since the Majority of People ARE going to get an Automatic Transmission, then it should have been said that the Base price is $7,850.00 but could be even less expensive if People choose a Manual Transmission instead.

Which Transmission Are You going to get in Your Elio?

Wouldn't You have Wanted to Know the Price Differences a Long time ago?

For just a few Additions with the Automatic Transmission, the Price that it comes to for Me is a little bit more than $11,000.00 from Elio.

As there's going to be quite a few of us that Want More than what We can get just from Elio, We are going to get Aftermarket Extras which WILL make our Elio even More Expensive. From a little bit more to a LOT MORE Expensive.

But that's going to be our own Choice with Full Knowledge.

But, the Majority of People ARE going to Expect to be getting an Automatic Transmission in the Base Elio for the Advertised Price of $6,800.00 when they go to Purchase their Elio.

Let Paul Elio and the Elio Team Know Your Opinion about the Lack of Basic Clarity in their Advertising of the Price of the Elio.
Every model has a base model and low price. They almost never get an order for the base model and yet quote that price because it IS available. Elio is no different.

I disagree that people should expect an automatic in a base model. Of course, that might be because I grew up in an era when manual was basic in all cars. Automatic has usually been merely a popular OPTION.

But please don't let a few differing opinions bother you. Just keep coming back and we're sure to find some common ground.

ps I really should look at the dates of the posts more often.

Last edited:
Top Bottom