• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Price For What Transmission?

Elio Price for What Transmission?

• I Don't Know How to Drive with a Manual Transmission.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been puzzled by the transmission question. Best I can tell, most cars are sold with automatics. If you want a manual, it's extra. Seems the Elio automatic is more expensive than the manual for some reason. Elio seems genuine about keeping the price down. So I guess that's the situation with this vehicle.
The reason most new cars are sold with automatic is that most manufacturers offer standard transmission only on the "base" car.
If they did, I would always go with std. But once you move up to a higher trim line or larger engine, the std is no longer an option.

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just re-read the poll questions. Let me disclose that I voted "prefer manual" and "know how to drive manual".

Jeff Porter pointed out the Want/Prefer duplication, but there is another category which makes no sense to me: "I Need a Manual Transmission."

I can't come up with a scenario in which this is a need. Clearly those with knee/back/other issues can apply the word NEED to an automatic, but what set of circumstances would lead one to needing a manual transmission in this vehicle?

My preference for a manual transmission is to help with the fun-to-drive factor and to minimize the number of times I have to refuse people a test drive. Go git ur own.

GiantDriver

Elio Fan
Reaction score
FYI: The 5 speed AT is from a Toyota Yaris. European model. Proven and tested. I got this info last month from ELIO reps at the Mohegan Sun/Barrett Jackson event in CT. The AT is made by AISIN. Besides making some of Toyotas AT they also make the optional HD AT for RAM 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins.
055.jpg

Last edited:

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just re-read the poll questions. Let me disclose that I voted "prefer manual" and "know how to drive manual".
Jeff Porter pointed out the Want/Prefer duplication, but there is another category which makes no sense to me: "I Need a Manual Transmission."
I can't come up with a scenario in which this is a need. Clearly those with knee/back/other issues can apply the word NEED to an automatic, but what set of circumstances would lead one to needing a manual transmission in this vehicle?
My preference for a manual transmission is to help with the fun-to-drive factor and to minimize the number of times I have to refuse people a test drive. Go git ur own.
Believe it or not, there are some people who "need" a manual transmission to reinforce their "macho" image.

Indiana Dave

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I would like the AMT.
BUT the cheap in me says I could purchase other options for the price of the automatic.
BUT then I rationalize that with an AMT it would be better for resale value (if I ever decide to sell it)..

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FYI: The 5 speed AMT is from a Toyota Yaris. European model. Proven and tested. I got this info last month from ELIO reps at the Mohegan Sun/Barrett Jackson event in CT. The AMT is made by AISIN. Besides making some of Toyotas AMT they also make the optional HD AMT for RAM 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins.
View attachment 10712
AMT stands for "Automated Manual Transmission" where a computer operates a manual clutch and shifting forks inside a manual transmission.

Are you saying the RAM 3500 truck with a 6.7 liter Cummins engine has an Automated Manual Transmission where a computer operates a manual clutch and shifting forks inside a manual transmission?

GiantDriver

Elio Fan
Reaction score
"AMT" as I used it simply stands for AutoMatic Transmission. There are two AMT's available on the RAM 6.7, one is listed as a heavy duty unit which is made by AISIN and cost more than the regular automatic.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
hmmm...on second thought perhaps I should have used the letters AT or A/T so as not to be confused with MMT. MT, M/t or M I C K E Y

True, it can be confusing. Easier to stick to the generic AT and MT. The AMT (Automated Manual Transmission) and MMT (Multimode Manual Transmission) are the same thing, a manual gearbox operated by a computer controlled clutch. Toyota calls it the MMT. You would think if AMT stood for the automated unit then MMT would stand for the manual unit, but no.

Top Bottom