• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Racing

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I will have to find the reference however I do remember reading about some ideas Elio Motors has for racing including some interesting inexpensive entry level spec road racing and autocross. Essentially the plan is to make available a choice of handling and brake upgrade kits for about $5K which would be the only allowable mods other than required safety equipment along with appropriate wheels and tires. This is intended to make it relatively inexpensive for anyone to just buy and modify their vehicle and go racing with a vehicle which is also their daily driver.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will have to find the reference however I do remember reading about some ideas Elio Motors has for racing including some interesting inexpensive entry level spec road racing and autocross. Essentially the plan is to make available a choice of handling and brake upgrade kits for about $5K which would be the only allowable mods other than required safety equipment along with appropriate wheels and tires. This is intended to make it relatively inexpensive for anyone to just buy and modify their vehicle and go racing with a vehicle which is also their daily driver.

Interesting. Maybe some of those 25 pre production Elio's can be turned into racers after they are no longer needed.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Sounds sort of like Formula Vee racing... Rules require the use of the same specified components which keeps the cars on a more or less even footing... Makes it more about driving skills and less about who has the most "cubic" dollars... Sounds like fun! :D

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds sort of like Formula Vee racing... Rules require the use of the same specified components which keeps the cars on a more or less even footing... Makes it more about driving skills and less about who has the most "cubic" dollars... Sounds like fun! :D

It does sounds like a lot of fun and also fairly inexpensive fun which is rarely the case with racing. The idea does fit the Elio Motors way of thinking very well.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It does sounds like a lot of fun and also fairly inexpensive fun which is rarely the case with racing. The idea does fit the Elio Motors way of thinking very well.

Actually, now that I think about it solo autocross racing is fun and you could jump into it on day one... I sold my Tri-Power 69 Vette to a buddy of mine many years ago and he took up the sport for a while and had a blast doing it... Since you're racing yourself against the clock there's less chance of you dinging the little beast, unlike regular road racing where you're banging fenders with other gear heads... Remember what Duval said: Rubbin' is Racin';)
Here's a link I found to the Houston SCCA chapter explaining how it works and the classes...
http://www.houscca.com/solo/aboutsolo.php I'm sure there are other chapters all across the country...

Top Bottom