• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Racing

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm considering doing the ground work, structuring class racing with the Elio as the donor and standard of measure.

This would be at least two or three classes, Street and or Stock, and modified. All classes would define at least something in reference to the Elio, i.e , at minimum, must use a Elio block, the 2F1R tadpole layout, the windshield, and lights, maybe some other required parts. At the far end of the Street Class, it would be a fully licensed and unmodified Elio (with 5 point seat belt, fire extinguisher, roll cage, your class qualified helmet, etc added).

Who, of us, would like to see such a race?
Who would like to participate?
What requirements would be made of the class (standards, sanctioning, season trophy, etc)?
What would each class define as requirements for the race?

IS it too early to do this? Depends on how you look at it. I feel it would help promote the Elio.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It may be a bit early to get too serious about things however I don't see an issue with getting some discussion going and working on ideas.

I personally am not a big drag racer however would love to set up some Elios for some autocross and road course racing. Autocross in particular would be a great entry level event as it takes very little investment to compete in autocross.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may be a bit early to get too serious about things however I don't see an issue with getting some discussion going and working on ideas.

I personally am not a big drag racer however would love to set up some Elios for some autocross and road course racing. Autocross in particular would be a great entry level event as it takes very little investment to compete in autocross.

I second that emotion! Did quite a bit of autocross
back in the late sixties, while stationed in New River NC.
Really enjoyed it. The Elio should a lot of fun what with
low end torque & Stability control, etc.......
upload_2014-11-4_15-0-8.jpeg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I'd enjoy a drive to the track (no interest in a drag strip), run an Autocross, and drive the Elio back home type race

Jim

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are you talking NHRA sanctioned racing?
Just run bracket and then drive it home.
If I did this, I would have 3, 75 HP, electric hub motors with just enough battery to get to the other end.
How would a bracket be defined for an Elio?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score

OK, as far as autocross, there are different levels, what sort of rules was interesting?

What is the type of racing where you just compete to get to a targeted location, using a list of instructions, and on the prescribed time?
I did two of those races years ago, when I was in high school. It was a kick!

All you have to do is find or set up a race and let all your Elio friends know about it.

--update, I found it.. Regularity rallying, also known as TSD rallying

Last edited:

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To put it simple Arilea you promise not to go faster than an elapsed time (ET) on the 1/4 or 1/8 mile run than you think your car will go.
If you do and your competition doesn't you lose.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, as far as autocross, there are different levels, what sort of rules was interesting?

What is the type of racing where you just compete to get to a targeted location, using a list of instructions, and on the prescribed time?
I did two of those races years ago, when I was in high school. It was a kick!

All you have to do is find or set up a race and let all your Elio friends know about it.

--update, I found it.. Regularity rallying, also known as TSD rallying

I have never done regularity rallying myself however I do understand the concept. It does sound like a lot of fun and it is something anyone can participate in as it can be less about vehicle performance and more about the driver/team paying attention to the distance and time. This is the kind of event I can easily see having at Elio Owners events.

Autocross at its most basic level is simply cones in a parking lot and as there is only one car on the track at one time required safety equipment is usually minimal mainly consisting of requiring drivers to wear helmets. Class rules for autocross can easily be adapted from the SCCA Solo program:

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/Documents/Solo_Rules/Solo_FAQ.pdf

Top Bottom