• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Racing

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
By yourself? You need a navigator for some of these. Can you imagine how nice you can make the Navpit, since she's gonna be the diver and all o_O.

Well, I thought maybe I could convince a cute little engineering major here at UGA to go. :D
That would be less of an issue than taking the Elio to start with. ;)
Linda knows, that at my age, all I can do is run to the end of my chain and bark! :rolleyes:

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A racing Elio.... Elio De Angelis that is
Elio_de_Angelis_im_Lotus-Renault_1985-08-02.jpg

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"ALL IN" for either TSD or Autocross. :D

For me, two problems though.:confused:
1. What reason can I come up with for taking the Elio out for a whole day, by myself.
2. How do I explain the excessive tire wear.
It's Linda's Elio, I promised, besides she won't let me race "our" 440cc golf cart so Elio's out of the question......maybe.;)
Time to get "your own" Elio......LOL

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm considering doing the ground work, structuring class racing with the Elio as the donor and standard of measure.

This would be at least two or three classes, Street and or Stock, and modified. All classes would define at least something in reference to the Elio, i.e , at minimum, must use a Elio block, the 2F1R tadpole layout, the windshield, and lights, maybe some other required parts. At the far end of the Street Class, it would be a fully licensed and unmodified Elio (with 5 point seat belt, fire extinguisher, roll cage, your class qualified helmet, etc added).

Who, of us, would like to see such a race?
Who would like to participate?
What requirements would be made of the class (standards, sanctioning, season trophy, etc)?
What would each class define as requirements for the race?

IS it too early to do this? Depends on how you look at it. I feel it would help promote the Elio.
AriLea, shortly after I joined the forum I said that we can expect that we will see Elio's at our local tracks. Rallying/autocross offer racing opportunities to those who have always wanted to race but due to finances, family, etc were never able to. The Elio should offer a less expensive option for those who still have this fantasy. Yes, at 70 years old I'm game for races based on time and/or distance.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Give a guy something with wheels and a motor and it will eventually be turned to going faster and eventually racing. I think if you enjoy it, go for it! It's going to be interesting to see the varying modifications that happens to the 1st generation Elio and to what purposes they will be put to. Make sure to put wheelie bars on the front, the only way you'll be doing a wheelie is by putting it in reverse and popping the clutch! And I wonder how the burn out before a drag race will work. Like I said, interesting and I think entertaining.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Racing began about the time the second automobile was built. It's inevitable. I'd like to see "production" class racing - basically the later SCCA "Showroom Stock" class that required a roll cage, five-point belts, and a fire extinguisher. You drove to the track, pumped up the tires, taped a number on the doors, and went racing. It was pretty cheap as motorsport goes - even in national competition. "Modified" classes allowed a lot of mods - even engine swaps - and that quickly got expensive. At national levels, you could field a Can-Am car for about the same investment.

Club racing, either through the cones, on a road course or a hillclimb could be entertaining. If a specific set of classes for the Elio in various levels of development could be set, you could choose your desired level of investment and spend a weekend at the track for a little "asphalt therapy". ;)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Racing began about the time the second automobile was built. It's inevitable. I'd like to see "production" class racing - basically the later SCCA "Showroom Stock" class that required a roll cage, five-point belts, and a fire extinguisher. You drove to the track, pumped up the tires, taped a number on the doors, and went racing. It was pretty cheap as motorsport goes - even in national competition. "Modified" classes allowed a lot of mods - even engine swaps - and that quickly got expensive. At national levels, you could field a Can-Am car for about the same investment.

Club racing, either through the cones, on a road course or a hillclimb could be entertaining. If a specific set of classes for the Elio in various levels of development could be set, you could choose your desired level of investment and spend a weekend at the track for a little "asphalt therapy". ;)

I'd love to try some of the 'low cost', "Showroom Stock" types and otherwise see some of the 'modified' racing. The 3 wheel platform would require more self control than any 4 wheel racing, which makes it more interesting to me personally.
arak12.jpg

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll just drop this here: http://specrx7.com/

The key to a spec racing class is not to allow any changes not specifically allowed in the rules. And make it nearly impossible to change the rules so the class can't be overrun by aggressive types who want to change everything and turn it into a money class. Also key to run the vehicle as close to completely stock as practical so parts are easy to get and easy to police.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Give a guy something with wheels and a motor and it will eventually be turned to going faster and eventually racing. I think if you enjoy it, go for it! It's going to be interesting to see the varying modifications that happens to the 1st generation Elio and to what purposes they will be put to. Make sure to put wheelie bars on the front, the only way you'll be doing a wheelie is by putting it in reverse and popping the clutch! And I wonder how the burn out before a drag race will work. Like I said, interesting and I think entertaining.

The first question was how fast is it? Then mine is faster lets race.

Top Bottom