• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Racing

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The first question was how fast is it? Then mine is faster lets race.

yep .... I suspect that down the road reports of Elio trikes racing on tracks and public roads (yep I said it) will grow more and more common .... someone will inevitably repower with a "belchfire special" power plant (age sensitive illustration o_O ) .... I wouldn't be surprised to see one climbing Pike's Peak or running Baja

Jim

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It could be called Formula E, FE.

FIA might object

FormulaE_RaceCar_01.jpg

Devilstower

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I know it's been stated that Elio is "not for racing," with the engine optimized more for efficiency than acceleration, and an overall package that's more about mileage than speed. So, while no doubt someone will have a de-turned Elio zipping down the quarter mile within weeks of release, I think there's another alternative.

Formula Elio.

If your only experience with "formula" races has been watching a bit of Formula 1 beamed your way from Monaco or Brazil, you might not realize that there are a number of "formula" series out there. Some of these are intended to showcase particular cars, others are designed as trainers for stepping up to the big leagues, still others are designed only for fun. There are Formula Vee open-wheel cars that look like miniature Formula 1 racers, but are based on parts and engines from old Volkswagens (you can get a ready-to-race Formula Vee car for about $12k, and a kit for just over half of that. Or you can pick up somebody's "last season car," as I once did, for a few grand). There used to be a Formula Ford above that, but I think that place is now taken up by Formula 500. Keep going, and you can find yourself paying as much as my house cost for a Formula Atlantic racer.

The Sports Car Club of America also has a number of other racing series like Grand Touring, where cars look like production cars but are pretty much scratch built and Sports Racing, where the cars are simply purpose-built race cars.

But there are at least three classes: Touring, B-Spec, and Production where cars run more or less as they come out of the showroom, with only limited modifications allowed. Converting your Kia Rio or Mazda 2 into a B-Spec racer means tearing out the air-bag, installing a roll cage and harness, and sticking in a fire extinguisher. That's about it.

So why not E-spec? Or better yet Formula Elio. After all, Elio already is an "open wheeled" car. Formula seems like it's natural home.

Formula Elio would consist of Elios racing against... other Elios. On road courses, please, not ovals. Modifications from the as-delivered car would be truly minimal. Considering the Elio's structure, maybe just pop on a helmet, drop in a fire extinguisher, and roll up to the line. A short, twisty road course is amazingly fun even in the pokiest little hatchback. I'm betting it would be a blast in an Elio -- and not a bad spectator affair.

I'm serious enough about this that I'm going to put in a note to Elio, and also to the SCCA to see what steps would be needed.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't find a single motorcycle in my copy of the GCR (General Competition Rules). No trikes in the AMA racing home page. Time for change somewhere?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe that an Elio racing series of some type would be fun .... my hope would be that it wouldn't evolve to a cost level that would take participation out of the reach of regular folks .... example, vehicle has to be stock, race run on a road track against time .... not side by side racing that would end up wrecking vehicles

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe that an Elio racing series of some type would be fun .... my hope would be that it wouldn't evolve to a cost level that would take participation out of the reach of regular folks .... example, vehicle has to be stock, race run on a road track against time .... not side by side racing that would end up wrecking vehicles
But for $6800 you could buy a bunch of them. Heck, fleet sales are probably even less.
Here's an idea...
Have a bunch of Elios at a track. Random people show up and buy a car that they can race then take home. If they wreck it, they can buy another one and keep on racing!

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But for $6800 you could buy a bunch of them. Heck, fleet sales are probably even less.
Here's an idea...
Have a bunch of Elios at a track. Random people show up and buy a car that they can race then take home. If they wreck it, they can buy another one and keep on racing!

Have you ever been to a go-cart track?

Top Bottom